Going directly to "Make Credit Card Payment" dialog box

When viewing a credit card register, is there a way to bring up the "Make Credit Card Payment" dialog without first reconciling? I reconcile as transactions are downloaded, so when the statement posts, I just need to bring up this dialog to initiate a hand written check payment. But since all transactions are already reconciled, I have to unreconcile a transaction to get into the reconcile dialog which ultimately presents Make Credit Card Payment.

Side notes: I don't use any Quicken online bill pay. I see that you can initiate an online credit card payment from there, but not a hand written one. For the record, I don't really hand write checks either .. it's automatically drafted on due date.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @LexLuther,

Can you give me a little more info n how you are effecting the payment? When you say it is "automatically drafted" how does that work?

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • LexLuther
    LexLuther Member ✭✭
    What I mean is that all my credit cards are automatically drafted from my checking account on their due date. So when I get a statement, I just need to enter that future transaction in my checking account register with a transfer to the credit card account. I just mentioned that to say that I wasn't "pushing" my payment through online bill pay or anything like that.

So today I have to:

1) Bring up the credit card register
    2) Mark a past transaction that is R as uncleared
    3) Reconcile, checking off the transaction I just uncleared
    4) Make a credit card payment dialog box as a "hand-written" check

I would like to eliminate steps 2 and 3, but you can't get to the Make a credit card payment box with the outstanding balance filled in without first doing steps 2 and 3. Or can you?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest using a bill reminder for the credit card payment. 
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @LexLuther,

Yes, you don't need to go through the reconcile routine in Quicken (and the additional gyrations that you are currently doing to make a "payment" - simply make the payment from your bank account or wherever, and bypass the reconcile gyrations process.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • LexLuther
    LexLuther Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I suggest using a bill reminder for the credit card payment. 

Actually a transfer reminder since you can't make an account the payee in a bill reminder. That wouldn't fill in the amount to be paid from the online balance like the reconcile dialog does.

What I'm looking for may be more of a feature request to add to the "No transactions to be reconciled" dialog box a button for "Do it anyway".
  • LexLuther
    LexLuther Member ✭✭
    > @Frankx said:
    > Hi @LexLuther,
    >
    > Yes, you don't need to go through the reconcile routine in Quicken (and the additional gyrations that you are currently doing to make a "payment" -

Well, obviously. But the Make a Credit Card Payment dialog box is exactly what I want since it creates the transaction with payee and source account already specified, as well as the amount to pay. I thought I'd read another post here recently implying that there was a way to go right to that dialog box from the register, but I guess not.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    LexLuther said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I suggest using a bill reminder for the credit card payment. 

Actually a transfer reminder since you can't make an account the payee in a bill reminder. That wouldn't fill in the amount to be paid from the online balance like the reconcile dialog does.

What I'm looking for may be more of a feature request to add to the "No transactions to be reconciled" dialog box a button for "Do it anyway".
    If you use a bill reminder and set the category to the [credit card account], you will be able to set the estimate to the current balance.
  • LexLuther
    LexLuther Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > If you use a bill reminder and set the category to the [credit card account], you will be able to set the estimate to the current balance.

I see what you are saying. Unfortunately, it you set it to estimate to current balance, it uses the register balance which reflects future transactions, not the current online balance (which, on the day the statement posts, is the amount due).

The trick of forcing a reconcile even with no uncleared items only takes 10 seconds or so. I was just trying to improve on that. I churn cards so may deal with 20 statements a month or so. Every second helps.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    LexLuther said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > If you use a bill reminder and set the category to the [credit card account], you will be able to set the estimate to the current balance.

I see what you are saying. Unfortunately, it you set it to estimate to current balance, it uses the register balance which reflects future transactions, not the current online balance (which, on the day the statement posts, is the amount due).

The trick of forcing a reconcile even with no uncleared items only takes 10 seconds or so. I was just trying to improve on that. I churn cards so may deal with 20 statements a month or so. Every second helps.
    If you set the bill reminder to remind you (or automatically enter) when the statement closes, it usually spot on.  The bill reminder also integrates with the Projected Balances view.