account cost basis setting

edmondoffermann
edmondoffermann Member ✭✭
edited December 2020 in Investments (Mac)
in Account>Settings one can set te default to FIFO or LIFO. Would it be possible to add "minimum gain", "maximum gain" ?
0 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @edmondoffermann  You might want to visit this thread about adding Average Cost Basis in addition to FIFO and LIFO for accounts. That topic has more than 20 votes, and might be more likely to get pushed to the developers if it gains more votes. I suggest you (a) vote for it, and (b) add your request as a post in that thread. If the developers agree to add additional cost basis options, having all related requests in the same place might make it more likely to get implemented.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • edmondoffermann
    edmondoffermann Member ✭✭
    @jacobs My request seems to be different in two ways. 1) choosing to sell those lots that result in minimum capital gain is different from accounting using ACB. 2) when selling stocks, Quicken provides the option to specify which lots. One option is the minimum capital gain, however, currently one can not choose that option to be the default, resulting in unnecessary clicks.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @edmondoffermann  I forgot that the Sell by Lots screen offered Minimum and Maximum Gain options. And I agree that offering this as defaults on the account setup would save some clicks and be desirable.

I was only suggesting that, while this is different than ACB, they're likely to tackle adding cost basis options at one time rather than separately, so voting for and adding the idea to the existing thread might help get your request to the developers' attention sooner.

(Also, you should vote for your own idea, by clicking the gray arrow under the vote counter in the blue box above.) 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993