The Balance shown in my Account LIST is wrong. It does not match balance in the Account

When I update, add, change the cash amount in my IRA, the balance in the Account List does not reflect the correct balance. I have 2 other IRA's that work correctly. I have checked the settings and they are the same for all the IRA accounts. What can I do to correct this issue?

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    The Account Bar can show either the Current Balance or the Ending Balance (if future transactions are entered).  Are you comparing the same balance.
    Right clicking on white space in the Account Bar allows you to choose which is shown.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you have a security price or transaction dated  in the future? Check the price history.
  • jmelong
    jmelong Member ✭✭
    I have the "show current balance in account bar " checked. I have closed and restarted several times, no help. I am tracking My IRA and update when it goes up or down. I do this same update in two other IRA accounts, but they show the correct current balance.
  • jmelong
    jmelong Member ✭✭
    Is there a way to manually change the balance in the account bar?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @jmelong

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your issue, although I apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.

The balance may not be edited manually, you could try to enter an adjusting transaction. However, if there is a placeholder the adjusting transaction may not have an effect.

If you haven't already, please take a moment to review the information available here regarding placeholder entries and see if there is a placeholder in the account that could be causing the error message.

If you do locate a placeholder, please take a moment to review the information available here.

Let me know how it goes!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • jmelong
    jmelong Member ✭✭
    Thank you Tyka for your help. I followed your directions and learned several things. First, I am not sure what a Place holder would look like. If it is a balancing entry, then I do not see any. Second the "simple account" is checked, so I assume that is correct also.
    Now, I see at the bottom of the account there are three entries, Securities Value, Cash Balance, Total Market Value. The Securities Value amount is a NEGATIVE number. This is wrong. I do not track individual securities. The only entries I make are monthly income into the IRA, and then the account or Market value. Where would Quicken be getting this negative number from? Should I make a balancing adjustment to make the Market Value correct?
    Thank you so much for your help. Charles
  • jmelong
    jmelong Member ✭✭
    Tyka, I am still playing with this IRA Account, and trying to understand how and why Quicken has decided to put a -$38,867 Security value. This is the problem. If I can remove this the Total Market Value will equal the Cash Balance. Can you help me figure out how to remove this amount.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jmelong,

Can you tell us the type of securities that you have in this IRA account?  Are they mutual funds. stocks, bonds. or something else?  How many different securities are there in the account?

You said "I am tracking My IRA and update when it goes up or down." - can you tell us "how" you update it?  Is the account a "connected account" where you download transactions from a broker or other financial institution, does it contain "listed" share- type investments (like mutual funds, stocks or bonds) where the prices download or do you update the prices manually?

Also, what is the name of the "-$38,867 Security Value" investment, or could that be  a placeholder entry? 

Get back to us and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • jmelong
    jmelong Member ✭✭
    Thank you for chiming in on my problem. I believe the more I look at this, the bottom line is that the "Cash Balance" and the "Market Value" do not match. This is because the "Security Value" of -$38,867 is reducing the Market Value.

I track in Q two other IRA's and in the other two, the Cash and Market do Match, because there is 0.00 in the Security Value place.

To answer your questions: 1 - this IRA has only Stocks, and at this time there are only three. 2 - this IRA is NOT a connected Account, and I do not download transactions. 3 - I update it Monthly when I get update amounts from My Financial Investor Folks. That amounts to the Amount of Income that Month, and the Account Value. I DO NOT download or Track individual Positions. 4 - I looked at the Transaction History going back to 2012, and can see NO Securities entries. According to everything I can see there are NO placeholder entries in this Account

Of the Four Accounts I track in Q, of which 3 are IRA's, I update them in all the same manner. This IRA is the only one that shows a Security Value.

I have already been told I cannot manually update or change the Market Value, and I have not found away to change the Security Value to ZERO.

I hope that answers all your questions. Thank you so much for your help.