Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Closing out the year

1) If I start a new data file for the new year will all my accounts information still be there when I update accounts in the new year?

I want to start a fresh year but be able to look at the past.

2) Can I still do a comparison between last year and the new year month by month basis and/or a YTD comparison

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...), you will have a new Quicken file.  The new Quicken file initially have no account data.  The old Quicken file will still exist and remain accessible.  You will not be able to perform a comparison between last year and the new year month by month basis and/or a YTD comparison in the new Quicken file unless you enter the earlier data into the new Quicken file.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Why do you think you need to "Close out the year"?
    My data file goes back to 1996, I have never "closed out a year".  The most I have done is to reconcile to the December statement for each of the accounts, but I do that with every month's statements anyway, so it is nothing special for the year end.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best (and only) way to "close out" a year is to create next year's budget. Period.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • pt216
    pt216 Member ✭✭
    Thank you everyone.