Ending Balance doesn't match Quicken balance - R30.14

My Credit card ending balance is $4133.27. The credit union website shows my balance is $4133.27. Quicken is displaying $7315.36 as the online balance which is incorrect.
Next problem, accounts are reconciled using online balance and are correct when I close Quicken. Next time I open Quicken, online/ending balance aren't the same. This has been happening in savings, credit cards, checking and investments for several days. I use different financial institutions and it is happening with all. What's going on? Couldn't even select a category when using "Ask a question...

Answers

• David Boater
    David Boater Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2020
    1. [What] is the Financial Institution, and can you provide screen shots of the Credit Card register?

[edited for clarity]
  • PENFED is the FI. PENFED website still has online balance of 4133.27 although Quicken is still showing 7315.36
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    @chutchin11 - What you are seeing can happen if you have the register set up to show Reminders.  If Reminders are shown in the register they will change the ending balance per the dollar amounts of the Bill, Income and Transfer Reminders that are shown there.  Check the upper right Gear icon > Reminders to show in register > Show reminders for: > tick the option desired.
    If Reminders are set to show in the register they will look similar to the following picture.  (Note:  If you do not see the column on the left side of the register, click on the register columns gear icon and check the "Status" box.)  Also, below the register the Due and Overdue reminders are listed on the Bill and Income Reminders tab.
    Let me know if this addresses your question/concern or not.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R34.24 on Windows 10)
  • I don't have reminders on.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    My Credit card ending balance is $4133.27. The credit union website shows my balance is $4133.27. Quicken is displaying $7315.36 as the online balance which is incorrect.

When was your last successful update from PFCU.  Have you checked to be sure neither of the following situations exist?

This (Online Balance) amount will be different than the Current or Ending balance in Quicken if:

• You have manually entered transactions in your Quicken register that have not yet been cleared by your financial institution.
    • Your financial institution has pending transactions listed for your account. This is because pending transactions are ignored by Quicken until they are cleared by your financial institution. 
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • Boatnmaniac
    @chutchin11 - Do you use Mobile and/or Web?  If so, you might want to try Reset your cloud data.
    If you do not use Mobile and/or Web, you will need to turn on Sync in order to do the Reset.  Once the Reset is completed you can turn Sync off, again.
    Even if you never use Mobile & Web and normally do not have Sync turned on you do have a Cloud Account but the data contained there is minimal.  Once in a while the data file and the Cloud Account get out of sync which can cause data display issues like this.  It seems to happen most often when a Quicken revision update has been installed.  Resetting will clear your Cloud Account and it will repopulate with updated data from your data file which could eliminate the issue you are seeing.
    Let me know if this helped you.  If not, there are a couple of other steps that can be taken.
  • That fixed my CC account. Still having problems with my FSNB checking account. I still can't find the reason my checking account doesn't reconcile and why I lost months of reconciled transactions (Sep 21 - Dec 13)
  • Transactions changed to cleared.
  • Boatnmaniac
    @chutchin11 - Well, that's good to hear your CC account is now fixed.  At least some progress is being realized.
    Regarding your checking account:  There was an issue recently in which some people experienced duplicate transactions getting entered into registers making reconciliation of the account(s) not possible because the register balance was not correct.  If this is what you are seeing, there are two things you can do to fix your checking account register balance.  Before proceeding be sure to back up your data file for quick recovery in case something goes wrong.:
    1)  Review all transactions from 9/21-12/13 to see if there are any duplicate transactions in this time period. 
    • If you find any, they will need to be manually deleted. 
    • Also, make sure all transactions in this time period that you wish to keep have "R" status...manually change those to "R" if they are not already "R".  (This is important for the next step.)
    2)  Click on the "Clr" register column header to sort all transactions by "Clr" status. 
    • If you find any transactions that are not "R" status they will need to be manually deleted, as well.
    • You can do a mass delete by left clicking on the 1st uncleared transaction, then scrolling down to the last "C" transaction and while holding down the Shift key left click on it.  All uncleared and "C" transactions in your register should now be shaded and all "R" status transactions should not be shaded.  Right click anywhere on the shaded transactions and then left click on "Delete".  The only transactions left in your register should now be "R" transactions.
    Does this resolve your checking account reconciliation issue?
  • No I didn't find any duplicate or other uncleared transactions with the exceptions of those I have entered after 12/14.

Very frustrating since I have been using Quicken since 1999 and haven't had issues like this before.
  • Boatnmaniac
    @chutchin11 - Being a user like you, I can certainly understand your frustration.  As the saying goes, "Been there.  Done that."
    You might want to read the following post-thread.  It sounds to me like perhaps your situation might be related to what is in there.:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7884590/after-the-r30-14-update-one-step-update-overwrites-my-payees-and-categories/p3.
    Take a look at Quicken Sarah's post from earlier today in that thread where she says that they have identified a possible fix and are looking for people to help test it out.  There is a link in her post that will download the fix file that you can update your Quicken to.  If it doesn't work you will be able to revert your Quicken program to the current released revision.
    If you do not want to do that, then another option you might want to consider doing is to delete your Cloud Account entirely.  If you head down this path, be sure to back up your data file first in case something goes wrong.:
    1. File > New Quicken file.  Name the file whatever you want to.  I usually just call it "Test".  No need to set up any accounts in this new Quicken file.
    2. Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web > Sync: On > OK.
    3. Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts > Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID
    4. Look for the Cloud Account linked to your main Quicken data file (not this Test file) listed under "File Name" > click on it > Delete > Yes > Delete > Close > OK.
    5. File > click on your main Quicken file name to open it.
    6. Quicken might require you to enter your Quicken ID login information.
    7. Quicken will then recreate your Cloud Account and Sync to it.  The Sync data (if you do not have Mobile & Web Sync set to ON) is minimal and is mostly used for Quicken to confirm it has a valid subscription and the version.
    Does this resolve your issue?
    If not, can you restore a recent backup file from before you started seeing this problem and see if this issue is resolved?
  • I saw Sarah's post yesterday, now it's gone. Didn't download the fix then, I suspect it didn't work. I will now restore from backup. I had to fix/add/delete/download multiple transaction in multiple accounts. Hopefully it will stay fixed now.
  • Boatnmaniac
    I saw Sarah's post yesterday, now it's gone. Didn't download the fix then, I suspect it didn't work. I will now restore from backup. I had to fix/add/delete/download multiple transaction in multiple accounts. Hopefully it will stay fixed now.
    Usually when there is a preliminary release of a new revision to fix a problem they only leave the link to the download active for a day or two but the post referring to it is left intact.  In this case, it looks like that entire post was removed.  It makes me think you are probably right about it not working.
    I hope your file will stay fixed, too.
  • Didn't last a day, checking account didn't stay fixed!