Quicken window fails to restore to normal screen size from the taskbar

tgrantdavis
tgrantdavis Windows Beta Beta
The Quicken window fails to restore properly from the taskbar after being minimized.

It looks like this:

To Reproduce:
 - Open Quicken
 - Click the taskbar item for Quicken to minimize the window
 - Click the taskbar item again to restore the window.  It appears as shown in my image, with just the right end of the header clipped and shifted to the left.
 - Clicking the maximize button in the corrupted header does maximize the window.

My current versions:
 - Quicken Year:2020 Version:R30.14
 - OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home, Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

This problem has been present through multiple versions during 2020, if not earlier.  It is the same in Windows 10 as in Windows 7.  It is not fixed by re-installing Quicken (as was proposed as a solution in another report of this bug).  It is not fixed by setting the size of apps and text to 100% (a lame solution given for other header distortion problems). At least one previous report has "this discussion has been closed", but there is no resolution for a year and a half.
Display issues after 19.44 update — Quicken

Please fix this annoying bug.

Best Answer

• Edward
    Edward Member ✭✭
    edited December 2020 Accepted Answer
    @tgrantdavis , great find and awesome information.

I think I might have narrowed this down further. As I replicated your steps I tested the issue along the way. I'm still testing, but my issue seemed to be fixed once I had all of my bill reminders deleted, so I tested minimizing the "Bills and Income Reminders" area in what I use as my primary view. My primary view is the Home Tab->Projected Balances sub tab, which contains the Projected Balances and Bills and Income Reminders items. Minimizing the "Bills and Income Reminders" area in my view seems to have fixed the issue so far.

What item(s) do you have chosen in the main view that you use day to day? If you minimize or remove them, does it help?

It looks like the refresh issue we're seeing is related to what's in our primary view, so I'm curious if we have similar items. I'll keep testing and report back.

*Edit Below*

As soon as there is a single bill reminder in my file (tested on the new empty file), this issue presents itself. This is regardless of whether or not that bill actually shows in the "Bills and Income Reminders" item in my view (e.g. if you set that view to "Next 7 Days" and there are no bills in the next 7 days, the issue persists). Only when there are zero bill reminders or the item is minimized does the maximize function properly.

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Works fine here....  
    QW R29.22
    Windows 10 - 2004 - 1904 -
    Screen 1280 x 800
    When you hover over the Quicken taskbar icon -
    does it display the full screen thumbnail ?

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • Edward
    Edward Member ✭✭
    I've had this problem for as long as I've been on the subscription version. I had some oddities in prior versions as well, though they were more tolerable. Quicken simply doesn't handle its own window sizing well, which no other application struggles with.

@ps56k, it shows the minimized tiny window that tgrantdavis showed. Attempting a screenshot below/attached.

@tgrantdavis, do you happen to have a two row high taskbar? I run a taskbar row for open/pinned applications and another quicklaunch row for certain shortcuts, so my overall taskbar is higher than most peoples. I've always assumed this was part of why Quicken struggled, though, again, no other application has this issue.

Screen: 1920x1200
    Monitor(s): Single (1)
    Quicken: Year 2020 - Version R30.14 - Build 27.1.30.14
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2020
    I can't reproduce the issue either. Build 27.1.30.14
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • tgrantdavis
    @psk6k When I hover over the Quicken taskbar icon it displays just the truncated header thumbnail, as on the screen.

@Edward I use a single row taskbar, so I don't think that is related.  I agree that I have never seen any other app with this problem.

I just found another detail.  Starting with the truncated Quicken header on screen, if I restore another app (ex Edge browser), then minimize it, the rest of the Quicken window appears, but the header is still truncated.  If the other app does not cover the Quicken header, then I can see that the redraw happens at the minimize of the other app, not the restore.  It appears that there is a refresh problem as well as a header distortion.

It looks like this:

@Darren You reported this problem in June 2019.  Can you join in now to help?

Let's try to figure out how others can reproduce this problem.  I will catalog more details of my system and the tweaks that I make to Windows, and post them back here.
  • tgrantdavis
    I spent the past 3 hours experimenting with this problem. Here are my findings:

The problem resides in the quicken file, not the system.  A new Quicken file does not have the problem.  @Edward, I would appreciate if you would try to replicate this.  Make it as minimal as possible without adding any accounts.

I confirmed this by testing a new file and my current file on a clean Quicken install in another (Windows 7) system with different hardware.  A new file has no problem, and my current file does have the problem.

I stripped down my data file, removing all scheduled payments and accounts and planning data and toolbar icons.  The problem remains.  I compared the settings of the stripped file to the new one, tested the different settings, and could not find anything that would either create the problem in the new file, nor remove the problem in the stripped file.  It is time for Quicken support to step up and look at it.  I will provide the stripped file, and you can see if the problem reproduces for you.  If it does, you should be able to find the cause.  Please tell me how to send it.

(And, yes, I do resent having to do extensive debug work for quicken for free.) 
  • NotACPA
    You're the ONLY one(s) who could do this debug work.  Those of use who can't reproduce the issue can't possibly debug an issue that we don't have.
    AND, I suspect the Q Support can't debug it either ... for the exact same reason.
    Your finding that it only happens in your prior data file, and not in a new file, indicates that maybe it's time to abandon this file and start a new one.  1/1/21 is a good "as-of" start date.
  • Edward
    Edward Member ✭✭
    edited December 2020 Accepted Answer
    @tgrantdavis , great find and awesome information.

I think I might have narrowed this down further. As I replicated your steps I tested the issue along the way. I'm still testing, but my issue seemed to be fixed once I had all of my bill reminders deleted, so I tested minimizing the "Bills and Income Reminders" area in what I use as my primary view. My primary view is the Home Tab->Projected Balances sub tab, which contains the Projected Balances and Bills and Income Reminders items. Minimizing the "Bills and Income Reminders" area in my view seems to have fixed the issue so far.

What item(s) do you have chosen in the main view that you use day to day? If you minimize or remove them, does it help?

It looks like the refresh issue we're seeing is related to what's in our primary view, so I'm curious if we have similar items. I'll keep testing and report back.

*Edit Below*

As soon as there is a single bill reminder in my file (tested on the new empty file), this issue presents itself. This is regardless of whether or not that bill actually shows in the "Bills and Income Reminders" item in my view (e.g. if you set that view to "Next 7 Days" and there are no bills in the next 7 days, the issue persists). Only when there are zero bill reminders or the item is minimized does the maximize function properly.
  • NotACPA
    Adding "Bill and Income Reminders" to the Home screen is the key.
    When, as an experiment, I added that panel, I was instantly able to re-create the issue.
    SO, until Q can fix this, I'd suggest NOT using that panel on the Home screen and instead use the "Bills & Income" tab to view upcoming items.
  • tgrantdavis
    Great work. @Edward.  Thanks.
  • Edward
    Edward Member ✭✭
    Great teamwork, @tgrantdavis . I never would have thought this was file based and it would have taken me a lot of time before I removed bills without you mentioning that approach.

This was a great Christmas present for me as this drove me crazy on a daily basis. Thank you!!
  • tgrantdavis
    I confirmed that the problem toggles on and off with the B&I Reminders for my current file, and for the minimal new file.

The problem only happens when the Home page is selected.  If any other page is selected before minimize, the problem does not occur.

For the new file, I had to add one account and a one bill in the reminders to get the problem.  It requires the B&I table to be visible on the home page at restore.

Also, I have noticed that when the window restores properly, there is initially a brief flash of the truncated header, then it redraws fully.  It seems like B&I inhibits the proper redraw of the header.
  • tgrantdavis
    "Great Christmas present".  But we are still waiting for acknowledgement of the bug by Quicken development, and a schedule for when it will be fixed.  Is it in the system?  Can we get an update, please?
  • Gwroe
    Gwroe Member
    Similar problem. I minimized Quicken and it vanished. I have an icon on the taskbar but clicking it just gets me a flash towards the right side of my screen, another click flashes back to the taskbar. I can't make any aspect of Quicken visible except that taskbar icon. The fixes above require seeing something. Any suggestions appreciated.
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18
    Wow, glad I found this thread, and kudos for the great sleuthing. I've been dealing with this annoying problem for at least a year or more, figuring it was something unique to my setup. When I moved to a new laptop last month, and still had the problem, I knew it was something more, but was unable to discern any pattern, so I never posted about it.

Since the discussion seems to be revolving around bill reminders on the home screen, here's another odd behavior that may be another piece of the puzzle (or may just be an unrelated bug). I usually keep my home screen bill and income reminders set to display those upcoming for the next 7 days. Sometimes, after doing an edit on one, when the screen redraws, some of the reminders disappear. I need to change the display to a different number of days, then back to 7 to have them all appear again (essentially, a screen refresh). No pattern I can identify as to when or why it happens. Don't know if its related to the posted problem or not, but I figured I'd put it out there.

For ref:
    Q latest release, Win 10 Home w/Ultra High Def rez display (previous box was one step below at QHD+ rez).
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    After doing some testing I can confirm this is all repeatable. I am also able to confirm that minimizing the bill and income reminders "module" on the Home page eliminates the problem, and have also discovered that un-minimizing the B&I module precipitates the second problem I discussed in my prior post, above. All billing reminders disappear, leaving only income and transfer reminders displayed. I need to cycle to another display length of time and back to correct that problem. At least I now know how to mitigate.

Thank you @Edward and @tgrantdavis for diagnosing this weird issue!

• gbatson
    gbatson Member
    :/ My thanks also to the users who figured out the work-around for this. It was driving me crazy too. I'm using version R32.12 (the latest) and it still has the same bug which is about par for this kludge of a program.