Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Merge categories button won't highlight

juju
juju Member
I want to merge two categories. I've highlighted them, they do have transactions associated with them, but the merge button doesn't highlight. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be  available to merge, the categories also need to be of the same type (Expense or Income) with the same tax line item, if any, and may not be one of the reserved system categories (prefixed with an underscore).
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2020
    They also must be at the same hierarchical level, at least for QMac. If they are not, you can always drag and drop one to make it at the same level.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Greg Wetzel
    Greg Wetzel Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2020
    Hmm. This didn't work for me. I have one category that was called "Interest Income" at the top level. I made it a subcategory. I have another category called "Investments" with subcategory "Interest Income". Highlighted both; the merge categories button was not enabled. This is on MacOS 11.1 with Quicken Premier Version 6.0.3 (Build 600.37136.100) on a MacBook Pro (with M1 CPU).
  • RickO
    To clarify, they have to be at the same level, and under the same main category. They can't be subcategories of different main categories. The easiest thing to do is to move them both to the top level. You may have to rename one of them first.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. This didn't work for me. I have one category that was called "Interest Income" at the top level. I made it a subcategory. I have another category called "Investments" with subcategory "Interest Income". Highlighted both; the merge categories button was not enabled.
    The subcategories under the parent category Investments can not be modified in any fashion.

In QMacs' Category List, note the Status column to the far right. Categories and subcategories marked with Required are "locked" and cannot be edited. This will prevent your attempts to merge.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• RickO
    I somehow missed that Greg was working with at least one Required category. In this case, if one of the two is not a required category, you may be able to change all instances of its use to the required one, then delete the no-longer-used version. To do this, search the All Transactions register for the non-required category (perhaps change it's name in the Categories window to make it more unique). Then with all these transactions selected, use menu File > Get Info to change them all to the required category. Note, however, that this won't change any instances contained within split lines of a split transaction.