One account won't open and causes Quicken to shut down.

I have several accounts in Quicken which I update regularly, but only my bank account is causing the error. My bank account is updated daily and backed up every time there is a change. Today when I went into that account, Quicken just aborted and stopped. I had this happen once before and I fixed it with Validate and Repair. However, this time, Validate and Repair does not stop the error and ALL of my backups are yielding the same result, even though I just used them yesterday, the day before, etc. Is there maybe a glitch in Quicken that randomly malfunctions making my data look corrupted, even though it worked fine on previous days? How can I get this to work again?


  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before attempting to restore a Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of the Quicken File), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review:

    This other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

    This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud accountappropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue, but for now before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

    Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.

    Before performing a Validate and Repair, I suggest you perform a Copy as described in the Copy and Validate instructions provided in: