Transactions not entering and file not opening in Quicken 2002 (UK version)

I am using Quicken 2002 Deluxe (UK) with a file of 43Mb. It is on a dedicated computer, with no internet connection, for security. Just 2 days ago my transactions stopped entering. I composed transactions and when it came to pressing Enter, nothing happened.

When I tried to re-open I had the message: Quicken Executable has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Window will close theprogram and notify you if a solution is available.

On trying to open the file I now get the message:
An error occurred during the last task. Please restart Quicken.
When I press OK, Quicken shuts down. It is opening earlier versions of my data, and they appear to function correctly, but a lot of data has been input since then.

Is there a way of recovering this data file?

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happens if you open a backup from a week or so ago?  You do have backups, don't you?
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • I can open previous versions and can enter transactions in them. Quite a few days' work has been done since the last version I can retrieve, however, and I would rather not spend two weeks re-entering data.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know if this works in Q-UK, but try starting Quicken while holding down the CTRL key which if successful will start Q without opening the data file.
    Then do a File->File Operations->Validate and Repair of the data file.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Pentree689
    Pentree689 Member ✭✭
    I know this post is a year old, but this is the only reference I can find to the problem I am having. I have the American version of Quicken 2002. Considering the original post was only a year ago based on the same version, I figured I would add onto the thread. I have the exact same problem described from the original post. I have done validates, super validates, attempted to copy the file to a new name, attempted to rename the file all resulting with the error "An error occurred during the last task. Please restart Quicken." My file is less than half the size of the original poster. I have looked for any error in files written in both the data folder and the program folder, but found nothing regarding the error. The results of the validate and super validate are "No error." every time. I was able to go back to a prior version from the backup folder. I am able to enter more transactions for a couple more open/close sessions of Quicken and then have the same problem with the file. I can never really make progress in the register without making copies every Quicken session and then trying to restore from that. Something is happening on the write of the file. The file does not appear to be corrupt. Thinking I had a potential hard drive failure, I've even tried to copy a good backup to another computer. However, I ended up with the same problem on the other computer as I entered the data. So it's clearly a Quicken data issue.

I thought about trying to export data from the good backup version so that I could create a new quicken file and import. However, I went through the process as a test and found that I could never reliably get the same balances in the new file. Transactions were missing from random places in the registers. And when I did the export/import again, I found different results. This tells me the export/import process (either the export or import) is unreliable and unusable.

The only thing I can think of is to create a new file and attempt to completely build the data again. However, that would take me a very long time. And I really don't know whether I might have the problem again. I do have family members with larger Quicken files than me that do not have the problem with their data. I really don't want to stop using the product.

Does anyone have any solutions to fix my file?

I know Quicken 2002 is pretty old by now, but it was running fine and later releases didn't really bring a lot of benefit so I decided not to upgrade.
This discussion has been closed.