How to handle autodebited or autocharged bills?

Just getting back to using Quicken for the first time in several years. I would like to keep track of bills that are automatically charged to my debit card or credit card or my checking account. However, it looks like maybe Bill Manager is not the place to do this? I would like to see that such bills are coming up and click a button to enter the bill amount into my register for the applicable account BEFORE the auto charge hits my account (so I can see balance AFTER those auto charge bills are paid). Is Bill Manager the wrong place to do this? Should I be using budgeting for such automatic payments instead? I can't find any info in help or the community exactly on point on this on trying to manage such bills through Bill Manager.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    We use manual bill reminders to enter our autodebited or auto charged bills.  If the bill amounts are irregular and Quicken is able to reliably pull your bills from the online billers, you may find using online bills linked to manual reminders useful.
  • PJS Finance
    PJS Finance Member ✭✭
    @Sherlock do you set the bill up to automatically enter or as a reminder? I am trying to do this and have an automatic entry for today, but it hasn't entered yet. It says auto in orange text. At least with the reminders I could enter it manually.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sherlock do you set the bill up to automatically enter or as a reminder? I am trying to do this and have an automatic entry for today, but it hasn't entered yet. It says auto in orange text. At least with the reminders I could enter it manually.
    We prefer to enter manual bill reminders ourselves.  We use Remind me not Automatically enter.

My understanding is the auto entry should be processed when the Quicken file is opened.  To enter the auto entry reminder manually, I suggest you edit the reminder.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1
    Sherlock said:
    We prefer to enter manual bill reminders ourselves.  We use Remind me not Automatically enter.

My understanding is the auto entry should be processed when the Quicken file is opened.  To enter the auto entry reminder manually, I suggest you edit the reminder.
    The first point is simply a preference. I prefer to have my automatic debits handled via auto-entry in Quicken. I have them enter a day or 2 early.
    An auto entry can be entered manually without editing. Just select it and click Enter in the reminder window's menu. I don't know why an auto entry dated today wouldn't have already entered today if the computer's date is correct.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The triggering of "auto entry" is done by either the opening the data file or by the change in the system date.  It isn't continuously checked, and it isn't checked at the time you create the reminder (which I think is a bug).  So if you create an automatic entry reminder that is for today, it will not go into register until you restart Quicken.

One reason I think I tend to pick remind me more than automatic entry is because with automatic entry there is a limitation that you can't change the next instance, like you can when it is set to remind you.

So for a bill that I know the amount isn't going to change I use automatic entry.  But for bills like a credit card bill I tend to use a remind, so that when the statement comes in I can change the next instance to that amount.  This long before it is going to post.

As far as the Online Bills is concerned.  If it worked better I would recommend it for the bills that vary like utility bills.  But as it sits I can't recommend it.

The way it works is that you link an Online Bill to a reminder, and as such it takes over setting the date and amount for that bill.  Sounds great, but it comes with some major drawbacks.

1. The fetching of the Online Bills is done by a third party service that scans the biller's website for the information.  This can be hit or miss depending on the biller.
    2. When Quicken is in a "time period" where it can't get the bill it goes into "Awaiting Bills" status.  When this happens more times than not it shows the amount as zero, which of course throws off any projected balances.
    3. Manual Reminders have "estimate" settings, which would certainly come in handy for the time period like in #2, but as soon as you link an Online Bill to a reminder they ignore any estimate settings.
    4. Online Bills functionality has known to corrupt data files in the past.
    Note Online Bill pay works in a similar manner the third party tries to schedule bills at the biller's website.  It is extremely inconsistent, and if you value your credit score at all I recommend staying away from it.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/