Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Another hidden placeholder problem

I'm using Quicken 2015 Deluxe on a Win 7 box (64-bit)
On one of my investment accounts I enter income from dividends or interests and buy and sell securities. In that account is a money market security where the income goes and where I move out funds to purchase other securities.
One month I bought a new security and had to move the funds out of money market security (as a sale to the cash balance of the account) in order to cover the purchase. Every thing looked good until I checked my end of month account balance against my monthly statement. There was a discrepancy of $700.00. So I ran a transaction report. Right after the line item for the sale of the money market there was a line item for a _RlzdGain of -$700.00. I didn't know what to do about that. But then decided to insert a shares adjustment for the $700.00. That created a placeholder in the account and did NOT resolve the the missing $700.00.
So I wanted to get rid of the placeholder and searched here for an answer because there was no placeholder listed in the placeholder tab. The suggestion was to got to Preferences select Investment transactions and select "Show hidden transactions".
Sadly, in my Preferences I don't have Investment transactions. I don't know if that's because I'm using 2015 version.
Firstly, I don't have a clue why the system is posting a negative _RlzdGain for a money market sale.
Secondly, how do I get rid of the spirit placeholder?
Thanks for any suggestions,
Vic

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    If you always buy MMF shares at $1.00 and sell same at $1.00, there should be zero gain/loss. Have you reviewed the Sell transaction that shows a gain/loss? Is it correct? Have you tried to delete that transaction and then carefully reentered it?
    BTW, I have long ago given up manually tracking the MMF sweep transactions. First, my brokerage doesn't download these transactions and, second, IMHO it's a waste of time. I simply consider any money swept into the MMF as part of the cash balance. Works good, and no reconcile problems.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    If you always buy MMF shares at $1.00 and sell same at $1.00, there should be zero gain/loss. Have you reviewed the Sell transaction that shows a gain/loss? Is it correct? Have you tried to delete that transaction and then carefully reentered it?
    BTW, I have long ago given up manually tracking the MMF sweep transactions. First, my brokerage doesn't download these transactions and, second, IMHO it's a waste of time. I simply consider any money swept into the MMF as part of the cash balance. Works good, and no reconcile problems.
  • VicM
    VicM Member ✭✭
    UKR, thanks for your input. I was able to locate a transaction that was a return of capital from one of my securities. I had neglected to 'buy' the money mkt security for that income. I still don't understand why the money mkt security viewed that as a negative _RlzdGain.
    But as of now, all seems to be working well.
    Again, thanks for your time and suggestion.
    Happy New Year!
    Vic