Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Bridging 2 accounts

Not sure that this would be a Windows - particular problem but that's where I'm at.
I have had occasional problems with a certain credit card bank, & the result each time is the old account gets killed (as far as quicken login to the bank sees it) and a new one set up by the bank, with some limited inheritance of past transaction history.

Is there some way of bridging or merging these accounts, preserving history, eliminating duplicates, something?

Because of the size of this bank and the type of problems that occurred, I can't be the only one in this predicament.

Any ideas or recs appreciated.

My conclusion right now is to pick up a cut off date in the old account, transfer the balance as the new starting balance in the new account, close the old account, do something to reset the starting date/balance in the new account (maybe just force it with a note). I should mention that there's no (easy) way that i know of to recover the full transaction history in the new account, it's not readily available on line.

Thanks for your attention!

Best Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    This FAQ might be of interest: FAQ - Moving Transactions
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @cecinit2007,

To deactivate the account, take the following steps:

1) Open the account register in Quicken;
    2) Click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right of the screen;
    3) Select "Edit Account Details" > then select the "Online Services Tab";
    4) In the "Online setup" box - Click the "Deactivate" button - then click the "Yes" pop-up button.  If you get a "warning" message about contacting your bank - just click "OK";
    Then exit the Quicken application and then restart Quicken.

To reactivate online services for the account: 

4) In the "Online setup" box - Click the "Set Up Now" button;
    5) Type in the name of the financial institution and follow the steps as directed.
    6) When you get to the screen where your account(s) are presented "Link" them to your existing accounts.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    This FAQ might be of interest: FAQ - Moving Transactions
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2020
    OR, you could simply deactivate the account(s) from download, exit Q, re-start  Q and then re-activate the account(s) with the new account info.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • cecinit2007
    cecinit2007 Member ✭✭
    Moving Transactions - that's helpful. I often have to do this for other reasons and I have to re-figure it out each time. I would probably do this to align the accounts on some boundary (like month, or statement).

I'd like to do the process of deactivate - exit - restart - reactivate with new info, that would be more coherent in this case. However, I don't see how to make it work. It doesn't look to me like there's editable info I can modify to switch the account to the new account number assigned by the bank (quicken doesn't show the full account numbers, just xx...x####). If you have more info on this procedure or a reference I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks, ==mwh
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @cecinit2007,

To deactivate the account, take the following steps:

4) In the "Online setup" box - Click the "Deactivate" button - then click the "Yes" pop-up button.  If you get a "warning" message about contacting your bank - just click "OK";
    Then exit the Quicken application and then restart Quicken.

To reactivate online services for the account: 

4) In the "Online setup" box - Click the "Set Up Now" button;
    5) Type in the name of the financial institution and follow the steps as directed.
    6) When you get to the screen where your account(s) are presented "Link" them to your existing accounts.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • cecinit2007
    cecinit2007 Member ✭✭
    Frankx's protocol worked, but there are some side effects or issues; there seem to be quite a few duplicate transactions. I have to audit this account anyway and look for some other errors that had crept in so it's part of the process. I think it's confined to the bridging period between the closure of the old account and creation of the new - we'll see.
  • cecinit2007,
    The method outlined here works perfectly fine.
    Numerous times my CC has been closed and reopened under new numbers, due to security (hacks?); and I've keep all transactions under the original account. Just had to wait till I had the new card in my hands; Direct, Online access outside of Quicken continued to work.

When you Deactivate it; then go into the Edit Account and clear the old CC numbers. Add the new number, etc.... new user name / PW if needed; then re-activate the bank connection.
    Everything within your Quicken account remains intact. You've only, behind the scenes, edited the account number.

It has happened often enough for me, that I now name the CC... BOA12-2020 for example; so when it changes again, I can edit the name, numbers etc., and not miss a beat