Quicken data stops at 4/15/2019 even when restoring from a 11/23/2019 backup.

This is the weirdest thing I have seen. No matter what I do, removed quicken reload, removed data files, removed quicken reloaded then restored the 11/23/2019 backup from my system backup dated 12 Dec 2019. Still no data later than 4/15/2019. Very frustrating. Called quicken support, useless, told me to restore from a backup and would not listen to the fact i had already done that. HELP I have a profit and loss due for my taxes.

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    just to clarify - you are asking about LAST YEAR - 2019 -
    and restoring to November 2019
    What version -     Help ---> About Quicken -
    and your Expiration Date
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before attempting to restore a Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of the Quicken File), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

This other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud accountappropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue, but for now before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.
  • Lou211
    Lou211 Member ✭✭
    I tried your suggestion. 3 times. NO JOY. Could my backup files been truncated by the cloud data? How do i make the cloud go away? I dont use it.
  • Lou211
    Lou211 Member ✭✭
    Sherlock
    Just did your procedure so the cloud was pointed to deleteme. I deleted deleteme.qdf closed quicken, rebooted system. pulled off of system backup the quicken files and started quicken. It ask me what file I wanted and I picked the latest one that I hoped would get me to 5/15/202 NO JOY. Tax day 2019 again.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lou211 said:
    I tried your suggestion. 3 times. NO JOY. Could my backup files been truncated by the cloud data? How do i make the cloud go away? I dont use it.
    The backup files saved before the data was truncated should not be truncated.

We may not make the cloud go away.  Quicken will synchronize some data even if we have never enabled Sync or selected any accounts to be synchronized.

Lou211 said:
    Sherlock
    Just did your procedure so the cloud was pointed to deleteme. I deleted deleteme.qdf closed quicken, rebooted system. pulled off of system backup the quicken files and started quicken. It ask me what file I wanted and I picked the latest one that I hoped would get me to 5/15/202 NO JOY. Tax day 2019 again.
    It doesn't sound like you followed the procedure I outlined properly.  Immediately after you delete the cloud account associated with the Quicken fileyou should open a good backup of the desired Quicken file.

I suspect the trigger may date back to March 2020 when Quicken started migrating users from FDS to QCS but I would expect the truncation to be apparent with reconciliation.
  • Lou211
    Lou211 Member ✭✭
    one other bit of information is that my cloud account does not have all the accounts only 2 CC out of perhaps 12 bank accounts. I just followed your instructions to the tee and hello tax day 2019. NO JOY
  • Lou211
    Lou211 Member ✭✭
    When i restore the backup i get a window that says "Restored file was previously synced to the cloud" even after i deleted the cloud file. How do you say zombie.
  • Lou211
    Lou211 Member ✭✭
    here is my last approach . delete cloud reference. remove quicken. Install quicken, restore from backup.
  • Lou211
    Lou211 Member ✭✭
    how do i get rid of the quicken cloud.
  • Lou211
    Lou211 Member ✭✭
    for ps56k
    Quicken subscription expires 1/25/2021
  • Lou211
    Lou211 Member ✭✭
    i am finished for tonight and perhaps forever with quicken. sorry i got the cloud involved. back to my excel spreadsheet macros.
    Thanks for all the help I have received. I will put my windows 7 disk in and it should at least get me to nov 2019.
    Again thanks for all your help.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lou211 said:
    one other bit of information is that my cloud account does not have all the accounts only 2 CC out of perhaps 12 bank accounts. I just followed your instructions to the tee and hello tax day 2019. NO JOY
    It is still hard to tell exactly what you did.  If true, the implication is you did not save a good Quicken file backup.
    Lou211 said:
    When i restore the backup i get a window that says "Restored file was previously synced to the cloud" even after i deleted the cloud file. How do you say zombie.
    If you followed the guidance, you deleted a cloud account (aka a dataset) associated with a local Quicken file - not a cloud file.

When we synchronize a Quicken file with a cloud account, a time stamp is saved in the Quicken file.  When we restore a Quicken file with a synchronized time stamp, Quicken detects the file was previously synchronized.
    Lou211 said:
    how do i get rid of the quicken cloud.
    We may not get rid of the quicken cloud.  Again, Quicken will synchronize some data even if we have never enabled Sync or selected any accounts to be synchronized.  We may limit the data synchronized to a cloud account by not selecting any accounts to be synchronized and by disabling Sync.
  • Lou211
    Lou211 Member ✭✭
    Hello everyone,
    Thought I would update everyone on the outcome of my data missing problem.
    I bit the bullet and just accepted what I could get from the backup and downloaded what I could from the banks. Turns up i am missing 4 months of data in all accounts. My bad for not downloading every month. My business account is missing 43 entries (it could have been worse) and my personal accounts are not important any longer. I still have no idea what happened to my may 2020 backup that would have contained all the 2019 and beginning of 2020. I am still thinking of ditching quicken but if i dont renew my subscription i will not have access to any data. They make sure that data files are not backward compatible. its a shame it has come down to this since I have used quicken since 2003.
    Thanks again for all your efforts.
    Lou
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, Quicken Subscription is backward compatible with Quicken 2017 & 2016.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Lou211
    Lou211 Member ✭✭
    I installed 2016 and pointed my may 2020 backup to it. I got a quick look at the file data before the registration window popped up. It has the same data as what I get in my subscription version. Thanks for your help and information on the 2016/17 versions. Of course I only had 14. So bottom line, seems my backup file is bad. But all my backups end at 4/15/2019 so I dont have a clue on what happened.
    Again thanks to all.
    Lou