Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Transfers are being deleted after the downloads from for the CC

Hello when I download my credit card transactions it will delete the transfer that I did from the bank account to the credit card account. This is after the bank reconciliation is done and it deletes the transfer. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this??

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you say "it will delete the transfer" are you referring to both sides of the transfer - the distribution from the bank and the payment in the credit card - or is the deletion "one sided" in the sense that only the credit card payment is deleted?
    What banks or financial institutions are involved with these two accounts - bank and credit card issuer?  Also, what method is being used to download the transactions from the credit card company?  (Right-click Account name in the Account Bar > select Edit/Delete account > click "Online Services" tab.  The connection method is disclosed there.)
  • cheier
    cheier Member
    Thank you for your response. Yes it deletes both sides of the transfer. Both the distribution from the bank and the payment on the credit card. It's almost like the downloaded transaction from the credit card overrides the transfer. It then caused the amount of money in my checking to be off because of the deleted transfer.
    Chase and capitol one are the 2credit cards. The connection method is express web connect. I have never used the community feature before so very impressed. Thank you!!
  • Tom Young
    I've stayed away from Express Web Connect (EWC) so I'm not intimately familiar with how it works, though it appears that the underlying process can differ with different financial institutions. 
    My guess here - and that's all it is - is that this has something to do with the syncing of your Quicken file with the Quicken cloud where transactions from Capital One are stored.  That is, my guess is that when you do a download from the credit card Account in a situation where the bank has just cleared the check but the credit card company hasn't processed the payment against your account, that your local file is somehow being "synced" to the cloud account where the payment doesn't exist.
    Over in the SuperUser's Lounge I'll ask for another SuperUser - somebody with more familiarity with the details of EWC - to step in here to see if they can be more helpful.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2020
    While it could be the sync process, check in Edit>Preferences>Transfer Detection that you do not have it set to "automatically create transfers when detected".  Make sure "confirm" is checked.  That setting can cause havoc if Quicken erroneously creates a transfer when 2 unrelated transactions for the same amount occur within a few days of each other.

It sounds like you are manually entering a transfer before the download, is that true?  Otherwise I'm unclear on what is happening.  Are you automatically accepting transactions into the register or are they showing up in a Downloaded section below the register for you to then accept?

Adding- also it's unclear if you are referring to an actual "transfer" type transaction between accounts, evidenced by bracketed [account names] shown as the Category in the registers or separate payment and deposit transactions in each of the accounts.
  • cheier
    cheier Member
    That fixed it thank you. I didn't have it set to confirm. I appreciate your help!!!!
  • Tom Young
    If you are making manual entries for the payments then I'd turn that transfer detection off completely.  When the check is processed by the bank and you do your bank download the payment should "match" in that Account, and then a day or two later when the credit card company gets your account updated and you do your download, the payment should "match" there too.