Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How to deactivate online banking (Quicken 2017 for Windows)

I understand "downloading no longer works with Quicken 2017 for Windows". I read another community question very similar to this but it took a turn in the wrong direction. Apparently "disconnecting" online banking currently REQUIRES downloading as Quicken 2017 starts the downloading operation no matter what is done to undo the connection. I've also tried to delete the account but because it's still "connected" through Quicken configuration then Quicken 2017 continues attempts to download. Of course it doesn't work, but this deadend process hangs Quicken forcing a task manager need to force it to close. Is there a known manual process that will disconnect/unconfigure the online banking for one of the accounts in Quicken 2017 for Windows? (e.g. edit a quicken file, delete a quicken file, download a utility from quicken).

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    If you have Quicken 2017 R20.5 installed, I suggest you attempt to deactivate the Online Services of each of the registers while disconnected from the internet.  Otherwise, I suggest you change the identifying credential at each of the financial institution you may have been using.

Answers

• RanQuick
    RanQuick Unconfirmed, Member
    The closed discussion I was referring to is here:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7875126/how-do-i-deactivate-accounts-now-that-q2017-is-no-longer-able-to-download-data-want-qfx-import

It started with the correct question, the answer is not acceptable. I do not want to download anything -- I just want to disconnect from online banking. I should be able to do this without needing to download anything.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    If you have Quicken 2017 R20.5 installed, I suggest you attempt to deactivate the Online Services of each of the registers while disconnected from the internet.  Otherwise, I suggest you change the identifying credential at each of the financial institution you may have been using.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    RanQuick said:
    I understand "downloading no longer works with Quicken 2017 for Windows". I read another community question very similar to this but it took a turn in the wrong direction. Apparently "disconnecting" online banking currently REQUIRES downloading as Quicken 2017 starts the downloading operation no matter what is done to undo the connection. I've also tried to delete the account but because it's still "connected" through Quicken configuration then Quicken 2017 continues attempts to download. Of course it doesn't work, but this deadend process hangs Quicken forcing a task manager need to force it to close. Is there a known manual process that will disconnect/unconfigure the online banking for one of the accounts in Quicken 2017 for Windows? (e.g. edit a quicken file, delete a quicken file, download a utility from quicken).

Answering from Windows 10 operating system with Quicken 2017 installed.

First, before you start Quicken, disable the Network Adapter, so no Communication is possible.

Open Quicken.
    Click Edit then Preferences.
    Quicken opens Preferences to Startup.
    Under Startup Action uncheck "Download transactions when Quicken starts."

Any Questions?

Note: Leave Online Services, alone. They can't be Enabled or Disabled.

Quicken Subscription product can read and write to Quicken Data File from 2017 without problems.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21359.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.928

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when click About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• RanQuick
    RanQuick Unconfirmed, Member
    I am not asking about stopping an automated download and I am not talking about downloading anything and I am not talking about online services.

The question is "how do I deactivate online services for an account"? It hangs on downloading. Nonetheless I tried your suggestion.

At first as I thought I suspected your solution did not resolve the actual issue. HOWEVER... this is because I "ignored" the "no internet connection" warning. Options included "retry", "ignore", "cancel" and something else. At first I chose "ignore". After clicking that four times (as needed) downloading began again.

The second time I tried your suggestion I [luckily] selected "cancel". Are you sure? "Yes" VOILA!! It deactivated.

So for anyone who has the same issue, do both what TheCreator suggests (turn off all internet connections) then follow my path: Edit the account, Deactivate the online service, when you get the internet connection warning then select "Cancel".

Thank you to TheCreator for getting me 1/2 way to where I needed to be. I would not have thought of your procedure on my own. Cheers.