Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Vanguard reinvestment transactions incorrect

This has always worked in the past (I only get these transactions 1x/year) but, tonight, I downloaded transactions from my Vanguard investment account and got 3 reinvested dividends transactions - except only ONE of them was really reinvested DIVIDENDS. The other 2 were LT and ST cap. gains, but they didn't come down that way. Is that a Quicken issue, or a Vanguard (which, obviously, shows the transactions correctly) issue?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    The financial institution sets the investment transaction's income type.  You can confirm the same in in OFX Log if you like: select Help > Log Files and OFX Log
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    I had recently converted from mutual platform to their broker platform and as you noticed, Vanguard is coding the st and lt gains incorrectly on the brokerage platform. 
  • EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭
    The transactions are correct on Vanguard’s site but incorrect when downloaded into Quicken.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @EmKay
    What you are seeing - transactions reported on the website correctly but improperly in Quicken - suggests an error on Vanguard's end.  Vanguard is responsible for creating the file of transactions that Quicken downloads.  You should be able to confirm this by looking inside the OFX file.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume you opened those dividend reinvestment transactions and confirmed they were not booked to capital gains, even though they say dividend reinvestment?
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Home
  • EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭
    @Tom Young ,
    I'm not sure how to examine the OFX file for what I need to see. I can see the log file, but am not sure how to find the transactions in question in that log file.

@Bob_L ,
    I'm not sure how to open them without accepting them, and I don't want to accept incorrect transactions so I just entered the transactions manually. The downloaded transactions have a ReinvDiv action attached to them, so I don't expect that they will book as Reinvested ST or LT gains. But I don't know if that will change when I accept them.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    You can easily correct the transactions after you accept them. Just edit the transactions and cut'n'paste the amounts into the correct boxes. I didn't have a Reinv transaction handy to illustrate, but you'll need to move the shares as well as the dollars.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.