Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Best way to handle account migration due to "reset"

Like a number of other users, I always have trouble syncing to NFCU accounts. Today, instead of playing the "fix it" loop game, I decided to let Quicken "reset" the account, which resulted in a duplicate account that has the correct balance, but only the last 90 days of transactions, and my old account, which has two years of history, but not the last few days of transactions.

What's the best approach to handling this situation? The old account won't sync, but is only off by a few transactions. It seems that Quicken, at least temporarily, is able to sync the new account, but it's off by nearly two years' worth of transactions. It has roughly half of the balance of the old account because I transferred money to other accounts yesterday.

Currently, all my reports are way off because of the new account. However, I can't just zero the old account, which has twice as much money as the new account, because that will still throw off all the reports (i.e., it will show as a loss). Is there a recommended way to handle this sort of scenario?

Thanks

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    If you're simply missing a few transactions in the old Account you can right click one of the missing transactions in the new Account and select "Move transaction(s)".  Then either delete the new Account or exclude it from any reports you're running.
    "Reset Account" shouldn't create a new Account in your file so I have no idea why you ended up with a duplicate. 
  • paolo99
    paolo99 Member
    Thanks Tom. If I deleted the new account or excluded it, I'd have the same issue I had before - the old account not updating.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @paolo99
    I was suggesting that if you transfer all new transactions out of the duplicate Account to the old Account, that will keep the old Account up to date, then excluding the new Account from any reports should give you correct information.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could try moving the transactions from the old account to the new one and them delete the old account. Make a backup first!
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    One word of caution about "move transactions".  If the transactions are reconciled and you are moving multiple transactions, it will prompt you on every single transaction if you are "sure".  That is why it is recommended to instead use "copy transactions" and then just delete the original transactions (or account) afterwards.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/