Suggestion: Improve Budgeting System (Q Mac)

1. Why have two spreadsheets for budgets? One with Budget and Actual and another window with just Budgets. Allow budgets to be changed on the Actual vs Budget report. Don't open a second window.

2. If the above can not be accomplished, then when opening the budget spreadsheet please allow it to be moved around on top of the the Actual vs Budget spreadsheet so that one can see what budget numbers need to be changed.

3. Allow the dropdown menu on the Budget spreadsheet to be moved out of the way. I am referring to the dropdown menu that allows one to copy budget entries to be added forward or backward. The problem with the design is that a cursor can accidentally be placed in the wrong area that allows for unwanted changes in the budget. Allow the dropdown menu to be moved out of the way.
0 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Chip Osborn You can do #2 currently. Open your budget. Select View > Open in New Window. This will result in your budget int he main window and a new separate window. You can then select Edit in one of the windows so you can see the two views in the two windows.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jacob, your answer is open two windows, while the question asked, why can't I do it all in one window! Not at all helpful!
  • jacobs
    @Barbara O'Keeffe  Actually, #1 of the original post asks to be able to edit budget values in the main budget versus actual screen, but #2 says "if this is not possible" there should be a way to view them both at once -- and I suggested a way to do exactly that. In any case, I'm not a Quicken developer and no one but they could answer your question why you can't do it in one window.

I was only trying to show that at least there is a way to see the actual versus budget numbers and edit the budget numbers, by opening them in two windows. It's not optimal, but to me, it's better than not being able to see the actual numbers at all while editing the budget values, switching back and forth between the two screens. Unless/until the developers decide to revamp the entire budget window, we can only do the best we can with the tools we have. I'm sorry you find this "not at all helpful." 
  • Chip Osborn
    Chip Osborn Member ✭✭
    Thank you Jacob for your response. I'm not active on this site. So, I just recently saw it. However, I want the developers to see my post and make a change in the budgeting software. The current system is "nuts"! It is very difficult to use and unnecessary. So DEVELOPERS, please read my post carefully and make the changes to the budget section of Quicken for MAC.

1. Why have two spreadsheets for budgets? One with Budget and Actual and another window with just Budgets. Allow budgets to be changed on the Actual vs Budget report. Don't open a second window.

2. If the above can not be accomplished, then when opening the budget spreadsheet please allow it to be moved around on top of the the Actual vs Budget spreadsheet so that one can see what budget numbers need to be changed.
  • jacobs
    @Chip Osborn  As I noted in my reply to your original post, you can already do your #2 request in Quicken Mac. Simply open your budget, then do View > Open in New Window. Now you have two windows with your budget in front of you, so you can change one to the Edit screen and leave the other on the regular budget screen.

As for your #1 request, it's do-able, but it would require re-writing much of the code for the budget section of the program. Perhaps they have that on the long-term planning list, depending on how it relates to other feature requests for budgets. There are a lot of votes for functionality like setting a date range for budget-vs-actual reports, for rolling over budget excess/shortfall amounts from month to month, for an "everything else" line to include all categories not in the budget, for better budgeting for loans, etc. The developers try to take a somewhat long-term view, so they don't work on an area of the program to add a feature, only to have to re-work it in order to implement a different feature.

The developers don't read every post on this site, but they do read those which attract a significant number of votes, and they will typically look at Idea posts in related areas of the program as they consider which enhancements to tackle.