Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Force Opening Date When Adding Account?

My years-old Quicken file has been giving me fits, so I'm going to create a new one starting 1/1. I want my opening account balances to be at 12/31, so that I don't have transactions that are already in my earlier file. But when I add the accounts with a 12/31 opening date and balance--or add the accounts manually and then connect them--Quicken (or maybe its the banking institution) forces an earlier opening date and downloads a bunch of recent transactions.

Is there a way to force the opening date and balance so that earlier transactions are ignored?

It seems to work if I let the changes happen, delete all the downloaded transactions before accepting, and then change my opening date and balance back to what I want. But that can be a LOT of transactions to delete for each of my multiple accounts.

Help?

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    edited January 2
    Hello @kathy234311

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

At this time there are no additional settings or controls to control the start date for downloading transactions. This date is different for every financial institution.

The typical date range for downloaded transactions is 3 months, this may be more or less depending on the bank.

I apologize for not having better news but hope this clarifies.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • kathy234311
    kathy234311 Member ✭✭
    Thank you, "Quicken Tyka." It is helpful that you replied to tell me I can't do what I hoped, so I wasn't left hanging.

For any others who view this thread later, remember that I was discontinuing use of an old file on a particular cut-off date and creating a new file for subsequent transactions. I ended up using the workaround that I mentioned in my question. That is, I took these steps:
    1) I added my accounts and enabled them for web updates, using my desired opening balance dates and amounts.
    2) I ran one-step update, which downloaded multiple transactions that I didn't want and changed my opening balance dates and amounts.
    3) BEFORE ACCEPTING any of the transactions I didn't want, I deleted them.
    4) I changed my opening balance dates and amounts back to my desired data.
    5) I reconciled the accounts.

I did not try accepting the unwanted transactions and then deleting them before steps 4 and 5. It's possible that that would have worked too; I just didn't try it.

I don't recommend this approach unless the user is confident about their ability to identify which transactions have already cleared in the Quicken file they're retiring or, worst case, if they're willing to accept adjusting entries if Quicken can't balance after their changes. I'm old enough to have had to balance a printed checkbook back in the day, so I was confident on that point. :-)

I wish the best to anyone else who tries this!