Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Cannot Close investment account even though shares and cash balances are $0

I have an investment account that I used to track stock options over 10 years ago. I no longer want to see this account in my reports, but I see a $0.01 value on some reports, even though I marked it as Hidden.

When I try to close the account, I get the error message "This account has securities balances, please clear the securities before you close the account."

I did an Update Share Balance and and Update Cash Balance to $0, but got a popup that said "No adjustment required".

I Ctrl-Z'd the account to recalculate, made sure hidden transactions are shown and still cannot find the issue. I also tried a Validate and Repair.

Has anyone else solved this problem? All the other community questions about this seem to have been closed as unresolved.
Quicken user since 1995

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if this might have something to do with the underlying options themselves as opposed to the stocks you might have received or exercised?  I see several "expired" notations but can't see if some of the options expired unexercised because they were underwater.  Never really used these "employee stock options" Accounts.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To prevent the account from appearing in the reports, I suggest you mark the account as Keep this account separate

• Phildude
    Phildude Member ✭✭
    'Keep this account separate' doesn't report my historical income from this account, which was significant for me during that time.

Thanks for trying, but I'm still looking for a solution to keeping it off of balance sheet reports, yet still showing data income/expense reports accurately.

Ya know, a realistic expectation for accurate reporting.

Myself and several others in the forums believe the cause is a rounding error bug. All the securities in that account were either sold or expired. I tried to enter a 'Sell All' transactions and was told there were no shares to sell, so why is it that I cannot Close this account?
    Quicken user since 1995
  • Tom Young
    edited January 1
    So you determined, I take it, that the problem has absolutely nothing to do with any issue involving the underlying options?

"Thanks for trying, but I'm still looking for a solution to keeping it off of balance sheet reports, yet still showing data income/expense reports accurately."
    I have no problem with keeping any Account - open or closed - off a balance sheet report, I simply don't select it as an Account to be included.  And in Quicken the income/expense reports can likewise be customized to include or exclude Account.
    If you want to run a balance sheet with Intervals and a date range spanning the open/close date of the Account then that Account has to be included even if it shows $0 after the close date.  I can't see that an Account that reports $.01 as a balance in some reports would have any effect on an income/expense report.
  • Phildude
    Phildude Member ✭✭
    I have no idea if there are any issues with the underlying options. I was granted a bunch, exercised some, expired the rest. You can't edit Grant transactions, so how could you tell?

Why should that prevent an account from being closed?
    Quicken user since 1995
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Q thinks that SOME position in the account is still open ... which is why you can't close the account.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Phildude
    Phildude Member ✭✭
    > Q thinks that SOME position in the account is still open ... which is why you can't close the account.

Yes, I have a $.02 balance on the investment transactions report. Since I'm not allowed to edit, I guess deleting and re-entering all the transactions is my only option. Better go make a backup now...
    Quicken user since 1995
  • Tom Young
    I'd think you could simply "Close" the Account in Quicken.  As part of that process Quicken "zeros out" the Account but all the transactions in the Account are preserved and can be accessed in reports.
    Make a backup and then try that.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometime last year, investment calculations in Quicken were changed to calculate fractional shares up to 6 decimal places. The recalculation caused some securities to pop up in your registers with a small number of left over shares, e.g. 0.000012
    In Edit / Preferences / Reports only set number of decimal places for shares to "6" and then pull reports on your accounts to see if you have one or more of those issues. To fix, someone suggested to edit the last Sell transaction for each of those securities and change the number of shares to "sell all" to include the fractional number, but keep the total transaction amount the same.

Another thing to try, after doing the above, is to perform Step (2) of

Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

to see if that will fix it.
  • Phildude
    Phildude Member ✭✭
    edited January 6
    [Removed - Disruptive/Violation of Community Guidelines]
    Quicken user since 1995
This discussion has been closed.