Year end copy-still not working

Seems this happens every year. All my accounts are reconciled and this has nothing to do with investment accounts. Regardless, Year end copy continues to include reconciled transactions back to the beginning of the year. From what I see, this has been an issue for years. I have updated and validated, still does not work.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I wrote this FAQ ( FAQ - Year End Copy  )  on YEC several years ago and every new year when users write in that it doesn't work, I test it again and it ALWAYS works for me every year.  Once again, it worked as expected again this year.
    I can't explain why it isn't working for you, but the process is NOT flawed, it works with a data file that has data in it since 1996.  I will revert to my full data file and delete the YEC since I don't believe in throwing away perfectly good data.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • frank8
    frank8 Member ✭✭
    I appreciate that, and I don't know what to tell you, it simply does not work for me.
  • Maikeer
    Maikeer Member ✭✭✭
    It has worked well for me, but I find the dialog to be a little confusing, personally.   You are not looking at the "archive" file, right?

Quicken for Windows subscription.  Quicken user since 1990.   
  • donnconnie
    donnconnie Member
    I have year end file now after clicking year end copy. I want to change the name of the current year file. How?
  • frank8
    frank8 Member ✭✭
    I have figured it out, at least partially. Deposits from my Accounts receivable were still in one of my checking accounts. All the transactions were cleared but there does not seem to be a way to "Reconcile" the accounts receivable to prevent that. Am I missing something?
  • frank8
    frank8 Member ✭✭
    Change the name just like any other file, close it, go to the source folder and rename. Hope that helps
  • RFB
    RFB Member ✭✭
    edited January 2
    I find it helps to make sure that all items have cleared and been reconciled in all accounts to be archived. This does not apply to investment accounts as they retain data from previous years. But if all other accounts are cleared and reconciled, the year end archive seems to work perfectly. Oh, and one more thing. If the item is a transfer, even if it is cleared and reconciled, the other end of the transfer must also be cleared. That part is true even for investment accounts, including a cash transfer to or from a brokerage account from some other account.
    Inaugural (Intuit) Quicken user ... still here.
  • frank8
    frank8 Member ✭✭
    I got that, but there does not seem to be a way to reconcile a receivables account, I can clear them, but not reconcile.
  • RFB
    RFB Member ✭✭
    edited January 2
    See this link, it might be of some help.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7869755/invoicing-receivables

I do something like this for my incoming rental checks, and I do not have a problem reconciling from my incoming receivables cash account to the bank account(s).
  • frank8
    frank8 Member ✭✭
    That's not really the issue. Invoices show "C" for cleared when paid, but there appears to be no way to mark them "R" for reconciled. When they are not marked "R" they copy into the new file. What I ended up doing was manually deleting all those transfers in the new file and re-adjusting my opening balance. Works, but it seems there should be an easier way. Thanks to everyone for their input, Happy New Year!
  • languell1728
    languell1728 Unconfirmed, Member
    Year end never works for me either... I just read thru all the threads here, I went back and verified that all my accounts with the dates that I want removed have all been "Reconciled". At the end of the file save process I'm given two choices of which file to use, "Archive or Current". I chose current. When I go back in, all the original records are still there. What else do I need to do??
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Maikeer said:
    It has worked well for me, but I find the dialog to be a little confusing, personally.   You are not looking at the "archive" file, right?

@[email protected]
    The image you show is WRONG.  You have "Do nothing.  My current data file will remain unchanged" selected and that means that you are just making a copy of your data file.
    The FAQ ( FAQ - Year End Copy  ) that I cited earlier explains the correct process.
  • Maikeer
    Maikeer Member ✭✭✭
    @splasher - I was just showing the screen that pops up in the program, including the somewhat odd default selection.  I am am well aware of the RIGHT process to follow.    :)  

splasher said:
    Maikeer said:

@[email protected]
    The image you show is WRONG.  You have "Do nothing.  My current data file will remain unchanged" selected and that means that you are just making a copy of your data file.
    The FAQ ( FAQ - Year End Copy  ) that I cited earlier explains the correct process.

Quicken for Windows subscription.  Quicken user since 1990.   
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Maikeer said:
    @splasher - I was just showing the screen that pops up in the program, including the somewhat odd default selection.  I am am well aware of the RIGHT process to follow.    :)  

splasher said:
    Maikeer said:

@[email protected]

The problem is that users look at pictures and make their screen look like the picture and with your image, they will not get the year-end-copy that they want.
    You gave them no instructions on how to do it properly.
    The FAQ does provide those instructions.
  • Marilyn Momeny
    Marilyn Momeny Member ✭✭
    So what is the solution? I am having the same problem as Maikeer. I checked that I only want transactions beginning 11/1/2020 as some of my credit cards have unreconciled transactions and I wanted a couple of months of history. But I created the year end copy and when I go back into my new file, it has all of the archived transactions still there, but they are grayed out. How do I move them out completely?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    The transactions are greyed out because you have the register set to grey out Reconciled transactions.
    Are you sure that you opened the "truncated" data file?  It should still have the same filename as before the YEC process.
    The "archived" data file is a copy of the original data file with nothing removed.
  • frank8
    frank8 Member ✭✭
    The question was not concerning the transactions being greyed out, it evolved into why can't we mark paid invoices a reconciled n an accounts receivable file. Marilyn, the first thing you have to do is go through all your accounts and make sure they are reconciled, not reconciled transactions still show up. Other transfers such as accounts payable still show up even if cleared. I noted the correct account balances on all my accounts, and on the new file, went through and deleted all of this in the register. i then modified the opening balance to reflect the correct amounts. Pain in the butt, but it is one of Quicken's quirks.
  • RFB
    RFB Member ✭✭
    edited January 6
    It seems to me that a number of complications associated with year-end archive have to do with transfers, particularly transfers from/to investment accounts and from A/R accounts which are not reconciled. I think that it would be useful as a part of the year-end close if all transfers could be unlinked by the archive process, yet the separated transactions could still have an indicator to where the link was from/to. In an archive situation, the importance of the link loses most of its relevance except for historical tracking, and that would rarely be done in an archive.
  • pklocke
    pklocke Member ✭✭
    No offense, Splasher, but I have seen your refer folks to that same email every year. It is "not relevant" to folks who actually want to start the year with a fresh file. Quicken year end file copy has "never" worked in the many many years I have been using it.

You choose to not archive and start over. Great, but you skew the discussion ever time you post that same irrelevant post every year.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    pklocke said:
    No offense, Splasher, but I have seen your refer folks to that same email every year. It is "not relevant" to folks who actually want to start the year with a fresh file. Quicken year end file copy has "never" worked in the many many years I have been using it.

You choose to not archive and start over. Great, but you skew the discussion ever time you post that same irrelevant post every year.
    It is stated all the time because a lot of people still don't know how it works and complain when the can fix their problem with information and taking the correct steps.

On the other hand none of the Superusers use the function except for testing, and might miss something that real users of the feature might see.

As such my advice to such people would be to stop posting "it's broke" comments and figure out exactly what is going wrong like the post above about A/R accounts and submit problem report or ideas on how to change it.  For the ideas of changing it it's best to submit it as an idea to this forum so that it can be voted on and get the right attention.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    pklocke said:

Since you don't like my YEC FAQ reference which points out what you need to look for, how about writing one yourself?  Make sure it covers all of the issues that cause YEC to not successfully finish to the user's expectation.
    You write it and I'll get the moderators to post it as a FAQ.  Now, it has to cover ALL of the contingencies and be perfect so that no future users will complain that it doesn't fix their YEC issues.  Good luck.