Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Deleting Investment account w/o messing up savings accounts in Quicken Starter software

I updated my Quicken Premiere software to Quicken starter software. I no longer needed the investment functions. How do I delete the old investment accounts w/o messing up the other accounts to which transfers have been made over the years.

Answers

• FrankxFrankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @CurtR,

Rather than delete the old investment accounts (which presumably have current balance of zero) I would suggest that you simply "hide" them in Quicken.  If you take this approach, you won't have to deal with the consequences of deleting it - like changing entries for transfers to/from still active accounts.

To hide an account - open the account register > click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right > select "Edit Account Details > go to the "Display Options" > click the box next to "Hide in transaction entry lists" and also on "Hide account name in account bar and account list"

That should do it.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • CurtRCurtR Member
    unfortunately when the data file migrated to Quicken starter software, it carried with it a balance in the investment accounts which are mainly CDs and can be displayed in the savings accounts. Starter will not let me doing anything with the accounts except delete them. I would prefer not to upgrade to Premier and pay more for unwanted functions.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have you access to a Quicken Deluxe or higher 2016 or 2017 installation, you should be able manipulate the investment accounts as the Quicken file format has remained compatible.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • FrankxFrankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @CurtR,

I see. Well, another alternative might be to upgrade to Deluxe (or even Premier) temporarily - make the changes needed and then downgrade back to Starter.  Also - just a reminder that if you should ever drop your Starter subscription, it will go into "READ ONLY" mode when the subscription expires.  This doesn't happen with the higher versions.

Good luck!

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -