Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Why Bank of America Download Issue with One File Only?

OK, I’ll try to be as clear as possible on this issue. Yes, I have seen Kathryn’s post in Dec 2020 about BofA blocking Quicken access. Nos sure it's related.
First, I saw a couple weeks ago when I did an update that my main BofA checking account showed a ton of “New Match” items. I don’t recall seeing these before when updating and was perplexed. Isn’t New Match used when there is already a like transaction entered when another one is downloaded? Was it seeing previously downloaded transactions and confused? Because, I didn’t enter them manually.
Moving on… due to a critical family issue over the last two weeks, I had not been able to take the time to address and understand it. Likewise, IF I did more updates, I was not noticing that it was not updating past 12/18. Again, maybe I haven't been paying attention when I did updates and was more concerned about some other accounts.
At any rate, I get a proper BofA update in another File I use for tracking my mom's accounts as well as a brand new test File I created... works perfectly for five BofA accounts! But, for my existing main Quicken File, the one I really need, it just won't update any of the BofA accounts!
I closed and reopened Quicken, no help. I tried ‘Improving’ my connection, but I don’t want or need Direct Connect and it didn't work anyway. The only error I got, multiple times, was ‘The referenced resource (parameter=id blah blah) has been deleted.
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken AnjaQuicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @gt00tx,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, I suggest resetting your cloud data and see if that may make a difference (see steps below).
    1. Open Quicken and navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences
    3. Mobile & Web
    4. Make sure sync shows it's ON and click on Reset your cloud data 
    5. Wait for the sync reset to finish
    Once that is done, try a One Step Update for your Bank of America account(s) again and see if the issue still persists.

Let us know how it goes!
    -Quicken Anja
  • gt00txgt00tx Member ✭✭
    Hallelujah, sister! That did it! I'm not even going to ask why or how it got messed up. I'm happy! Thanks, very much, Anja!
  • gt00txgt00tx Member ✭✭
    edited January 4
    I'm just wondering now why all the entries are coming over as New Match. I don't think that used to happen... they are all cleared, but this New Match thing is throwing me off, or else I've just never noticed. Normally, doesn't it just say 'New' or something like that? Isn't New Match for when the download matches a manual entry (which I rarely do)? Also, in another account, the register shows the pencil for manual entries when there aren't. They were downloaded. Odd stuff.
  • Quicken AnjaQuicken Anja Moderator mod
    You're very welcome! Thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear that worked for you. :)

gt00tx said:
    I'm just wondering now why all the entries are coming over as New Match. I don't think that used to happen... they are all cleared, but this New Match thing is throwing me off, or else I've just never noticed. Normally, doesn't it just say 'New' or something like that? Isn't New Match for when the download matches a manual entry (which I rarely do)? Also, in another account, the register shows the pencil for manual entries when there aren't. They were downloaded. Odd stuff.
    Yes, New Match status does normally indicate that a transaction was initially manually entered, then downloaded and matched to avoid duplicate transaction entries as well as a pencil icon symbolizes that a transaction was manual entered.

However, I must admit that it is puzzling that you would have pencil icons (manual entries) and New Match transaction statuses if in fact you downloaded these entries and did not initially manually enter them yourself. My best guess would be that something happened prior to this issue surfacing that may have changed those downloaded transactions to manual entries, which there are a few circumstances that could cause this to happen.

Do you recall having moved transactions out of one account and into another account in Quicken in the past? The reason I ask is that, even though there are a variety of circumstances that can cause this downloaded transaction vs manual entry change to occur, moving transactions from one account to another is the most common scenario/troubleshooting action performed that causes this change. Although, I am unable to confirm that without knowing what was done with your data file in the past, being that this is the most common cause is why I suspect that this is what has likely happened here.

When downloaded transactions are moved out of the account they were originally downloaded into, and then moved into a new/different account (or even exported and imported from one data file to another), that new account will recognize those transactions as manual entries instead as they were technically manually put (moved) there, instead of being originally downloaded directly from the financial institution server into that particular (new) account register in Quicken.

Then, once the transactions have been moved and a online connection between the new account in Quicken and the financial institution server is established, or a One Step Update is performed for that new account after the move is completed, Quicken does not recognize that those transactions were previously downloaded (in the original account). So in conclusion, it proceeds to (re)download and auto-match them to the (now) manual (aka moved) transactions instead.

I apologize for the lengthy explanation, though I hope it helped to shed some light on what could have caused this to happen.

Please, let me know if you wish to gain clarification on anything mentioned above and/or if you have any further questions/concerns.
    -Quicken Anja
  • gt00txgt00tx Member ✭✭
    edited January 6
    Thanks for the explanation. I did not move transactions from one account to another. To be clear, the pencil icons are in a different register of course, as you can't have both them and New Match in the same field. I think maybe the download is like double-dipping.. downloading once then seeing the transactions a second time and thinking they are manual. I don't know. Finally, after the holiday weekend I was able to complete an update. Everything outstanding came in as 1/4/20 for both transaction and posting date.... it's possible I may have misstated that there have been no downloads since 12/18 as it's possible I may have simply not scrolled down in the register! There are some from between 12/18 and 12/31 but I'm not really sure when they download. Nevertheless, the New Match thing is confounding... Maybe it will clear up since I did the sync reset. We'll see in a day or two.