Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

No Billminder - can Quicken 2016 read Quicken 2020 files?

So I upgraded from Quicken 2016 to 2020 in November and discovered Billminder is gone. I've tried accepting that fact but realize it really is a necessity for me.

So I think I'd like to trash 2020 and reinstall 2016 but am concerned about opening my files. Can the 2016 version read the 2020 files?

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @wherrick

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to ask your question, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

While the 2016 program can open and read the file from the subscription version, you will lose several features and benefits of having an active subscription.

The 2016 version is no longer supported so you will not have access to support should any issues arise.

You will also have to enter transactions manually and will not be able to connect to the bank for automatic download.

I hope this answers your question and helps to clarify.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To replace to old Billminder, run Quicken and set it to show the Home tab, My Money view. This, by default should have a Stay on Top of Monthly Bills view.
    Alternatively, you can customize the My Money view and add a Bills and Income Reminders view. (which is what I've been using for many years)
    There also is the Bills & Income tab which shows the Bills, Income & Transfers view. When set to show bills by Due Date, this will show your reminders which are due soon. Also try the available views other than Due Date, e.g. Stack view or Calendar view.
    And last, but not least, there's a Projected Balances view under the Bills & Income tab.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    wherrick said:
    So I think I'd like to trash 2020 and reinstall 2016 but am concerned about opening my files. Can the 2016 version read the 2020 files?
    In fact yes it can.  From Quicken 2016 upward, the data files are backwards compatible.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • wherrick
    wherrick Member
    Thanks for the quick replies. So it boils down to 2 choices: reinstall 2016 and forget any upgrades in the 2020 - or - set the 2020 opening to display reminders. Either choice works, I have to decide which works better for me.

Now the question which by this point is rhetorical: Why would Intuit drop Billminder when it was such a simple useful tool?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    wherrick said:
    Now the question which by this point is rhetorical: Why would Intuit drop Billminder when it was such a simple useful tool?
    Intuit didn't, Quicken Inc did.

And even though the question was rhetorical my guess of why is the same reason why they are very reluctantly supporting the Emergency Records Organizer.  Separate program written long ago in very old APIs and hard to update, and not really used that much by most Quicken users.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/