Bugs in Bill Reminder Software

There are obvious issues with the dates changing in Bill Reminders. My due date for a credit card bill reminder was changed by a month without my doing anything. I missed a bill payment that was due because of this. This Quicken error cost me late fees of $287.00!

Fortunately I caught and changed other bill reminders that also had their date advanced by a month (without me doing anything to make this change).

Please debug the Bill Reminder software.

Comments

• William Decker
    William Decker Member ✭✭
    On 1/3/21 I noticed that a Bill Reminder incorrectly FAILED to post into my checking account register. In "Manage Bill and Income Reminders" this Reminder is present, and has been for at least a year, and has always been set to AUTOMATICALLY post to my Checking account register 27 days in advance each month. About two months ago, I did change the number of days to 27 from 10 (maybe 25 days). The Reminder's status is "Auto (in Red)" and next date is 01/08/2021. Why it is red is unknown to me. And 27 days before 01/08/21 is December 12th. I have had several Quicken sessions between December 12, 2020 and January 3, 2021, and the register was never posted to by Quicken. At least you could build in a "button" into the record display that means "Post Now." That way, the User could at least solve the immediate problem. Many of my bills are generated by the biller 25 days ahead of their due dates. I set up instructions with the biller to automatically draft a checking account for the account balance. They email me with the details of that month's bill and I like to record the draft date and amount well ahead of their due dates to avoid future difficulties. Not having a known bill amount posted into the register well before its due date can cause an embarrassing situation to develop with the creditor and my bank. In this case, the amount was more than $500.00. A rather large amount for most individuals. I have used Quicken for decades nd have not previously encountered this kind of problem.
  • Sadefrain
    Sadefrain Member
    I use the Bill Reminder manually as I enter my bills. Since the last update R30.19 when I go to enter a bill I change the date and amount and enter. The date in the register is not the current date and the amount I manually changed doesn't change.

There is something wrong with the software.
  • powerpair
    powerpair Member
    > @rleifield said:
    > There are obvious issues with the dates changing in Bill Reminders. My due date for a credit card bill reminder was changed by a month without my doing anything. I missed a bill payment that was due because of this. This Quicken error cost me late fees of $287.00!
    >
    > Fortunately I caught and changed other bill reminders that also had their date advanced by a month (without me doing anything to make this change).
    >
    > Please debug the Bill Reminder software.

I've been having the same issue over the last few months, including today. Seems most of the "changes" occur on yearly reminders. No pattern, just random changes of the dates. This needs to be resolved. This was never an issue before I bought the Quicken subscription about a year ago.
  • rleifield
    rleifield Member ✭✭
    Today I downloaded the latest version of Quicken. I use Quicken Deluxe, version R30.21.

I reviewed my bills due in the Bill Reminder screen and entered one bill for transmission to my online banking. I then initiated Update Account.

After downloading transactions from various banks and credit cards and entering them into the accounts, I checked my bill reminders. I did not make any changes to my American Express bill reminder. However, the date due of the Bill Reminder for my Amex card is now 1 month later than it was when I reviewed my Bill Reminders as my first step today.

There is a bug in the Bill Reminder software that is incorrectly changing bill due dates!
  • mcg31168
    mcg31168 Member ✭✭
    I have had the same problem. In some cases, when I paid a bill, annual bill reminders were changed to a monthly reminder and the date advanced a month. In several other cases, some annual reminders were randomly changed to monthly reminders, even after I changed them back. It is possible that this is related to Syncing with Web Quicken, as it seemed to happen after a sync. But now I am not sure since I disable syncing and it still happens (although less frequently now).
  • KevinD872
    KevinD872 Member ✭✭
    I've been experiencing all sorts of issues due to bill reminders since late spring of 2020. I really don't think they care. I've reported one annoying issue (bill reminders, but not the same as the one in this thread) only to be told it was the same as a different issue that they supposedly (but inexplicably) changed intentionally. While I appreciate that many people here volunteer their assistance, it gets tiring seeing all of these bugs cropping up in software that has been mostly stable for the over 25 years I have been using it. Even more frustrating is that we now are forced to pay a premium every single year for buggier software.

And for the past several months, it doesn't even reconcile correctly anymore. I am always having to fix something on older transactions that previously reconciled fine.

Sorry... just needed to rant.
  • ciarmer
    ciarmer Member ✭✭
    With all of the wonderful progress that has been made in other aspects of this software over the years the Bill Reminders portion of the software has significantly deteriorated over time. Setting up Online Bills has created total confusion in my manual bill reminders. Due dates changing, a periodic missed monthly reminder since the due date of a bill automatically changes to the online bill due date (which is the payment due date on the biller's website rather than my reminder date). The biller's due date to me is too late to act as a reminder. I want my reminder to show the date the bill is available for payment. Why is it overridden by the biller's due date?

I simply want to know what bills are currently available for payment and I want the earliest possible notification that a bill is available. That doesn't seem to be possible.

Also, the "Update Bills" checkmark within "One Step Update" has never worked. It immediately returns a response that it is completed which is impossible. If I try to update a particular bill it takes at least 15 to 30 seconds for each bill I try to update. So, the bill update portion of "One Step Update" is not working for me. Am I the only person who has experienced that?

I'm close to deleting all of my online bills within Quicken and going back to the basic manual bill reminder process. Sounds like a step backwards but in my case it might actually be an improvement.
  • Timothy Barr
    Timothy Barr Member
    I have been having the same issue with Bill Reminder not entering in bills. I also have noticed some of my reminders showing up in the Downloaded Transaction - Bill and Income reminders window. I have my reminders set to automatically be entered 30 days before due. Do I have to log into Quicken every day to make sure the reminders post??