Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Why is the Category deleted during Matching of downloaded transactions

Why is the Category deleted by Quicken during Matching of downloaded transactions

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 3
    Please elaborate, we need much more info about what's happening.
    Is this happening in one account or many/all?
    What Financial Institution, or many/all?
    And, what Q product are you running, and what BUILD of that product?  You can find this info at HELP, About Quicken.
    It sounds like you're inputting your transactions manually, before they download, and including the Category at that time.  Is that correct?
    What's strange about this is that NO value for Category is ever downloaded,  unless they're supplied by your FI's ... but that's rare because the FI doesn't know what your categories are.
    Also, take a look at your OFXLog file to look any any one such transaction, and see what's being downloaded for it.  You can find the Log at HELP, Log Files, OFX Log.
    Save it to your desktop and then open it with WordPad or NotePad (NOT MS Word).
    You can then do a search for amount or something else that's particular to  the transaction to see what the FI sent.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Harry Storey
    Harry Storey Member ✭✭
    edited January 4
    When I input a transaction, let's say paying a credit card bill in my checking account register. I have a category for Spending called credit card. When I update the checking account registry online bill pay, the category is changed to the actual credit card account [Credit card *****]

Is there a way to keep my manual category?

[Edited-Privacy]
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The correct way of recording a credit card payment transaction is to make it a transfer from Checking to [Credit Card ****].
    You don't need a separate credit card Spending Category. The individual transactions recorded in your credit card account register are already categorized (or they should be) to individual categories like Food, Auto:Gasoline, etc.
    And, if your checking account's payment transaction is categorized to credit card, what category do you use to record the payment transaction in your credit card register and reflect it in your budget?