Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Can't log in to Charles Schwab

I enter the EXACT same user id and password as I use for online access, but get the following error: "Quicken is having trouble connecting to Charles Schwab & Co., Inc., An additional message from Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.: Account information may contain bad or invalid characters such as spaces". I have called Schwab and they have verified that I'm authorized for third party access to my information. It is not possible to manually download the transactions except in CSV format, which Quicken no longer supports.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• FrankxFrankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @cahoover,

Do you have special characters in your Schwab password?  If so, it is possible that those may not be acceptable in Quicken.  See this last section in this Quicken information document on passwords in Quicken LINK.

Let me know how this goes.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

Accepted Answer
    Hi @cahoover,

Do you have special characters in your Schwab password?  If so, it is possible that those may not be acceptable in Quicken.  See this last section in this Quicken information document on passwords in Quicken LINK.

Let me know how this goes.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • cahoovercahoover Member
    Thank you. Although the article referred to passwords, in my case my user id had a "#" in it. With a new user id, I managed to successfully connect (FINALLY).
  • cahoovercahoover Member
    It seems that at a minimum, Quicken should provide a list of ALL the special characters that are not acceptable. And should let you know at the time you enter the user id and password, rather than trying to make it look like it is the financial institution at fault.
    @cahoover

Happy to help and Happy New Year!!

Frankx