Home Before you Buy
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Updating from Quicken 2016, is it worth it?

I am currently using 2016. I only use it to record my portfolio buy/sell. I want to have the stock price update function which expired. Will it be worth it to upgrade to current message? If I have the subscription for one year and terminate, will I still have access to my program and data, just no more update?

Answers

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you consider using a Google sheet.  For example:

When we download the Google sheet as a CSV file, the file is formatted appropriately for import into Quicken: select File > File Import > Import security prices from CSV file...

To learn more about Google sheets, I suggest you review: https://www.google.com/sheets/about/

Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Jenifer CJenifer C Member
    Oh. I will for sure try this. I am not too hands on on importing stuff but it's worth a try. Thanks Sherlock!
    Just try it but Quicken didn't recognize the file!
    Jenifer C said:
    Just try it but Quicken didn't recognize the file!
    Please provide the CSV file you tried to import.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OXUS9nstEVq5z7ysIYtbLfQf-G11F-p_04us0pe-EEI/edit?usp=sharing
    Here is the file
    edited January 4
    Jenifer C said:
    I cannot view the file you provided.  

The generated CSV file downloaded from the google sheet I provided earlier would look like:

goog,1724.93,1/4/2021
    msft,216.87,1/4/2021
    aapl,129.22,1/4/2021
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    looks like i have to reset the file and see. When I generate the google file, it saves in google drive, but I don't know how to download it onto my computer drive?
    when I generate the google sheet, there are three column, and even if I save in CSV, still in 3 column, don't think it is right?
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 4
    Look again at Sherlock's example.  He pasted it from a text editor..In Excel, those comma's would cause the data to appear in 3 columns.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
    Well, I try again to do it in Google Sheet and download it. I import that file into Quicken without opening in Excel. It seems to work for US stock. Cdn stock has a different code so I may have to change the QB stock code. Will update you whether it works. I may take a while.
    edited January 4
    Jenifer C said:
    looks like i have to reset the file and see. When I generate the google file, it saves in google drive, but I don't know how to download it onto my computer drive?
    To download the CSV file, open the google sheet and select File > Download > Comma-Separated values (.csv, current sheet)

Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    most can be import except a few for some reason I cannot add the stock code to the security detail. Oh well, 95% is good enough for now. Thanks for your help
    I change the stock symbols for the Cdn stock, now all US and Cdn stocks can be import. I cannot do a third roll for the date, just the stock symbols and price. Good enough. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.