USAA Direct Download not working

Hello. Direct Downloads for USAA accounts stopped working recently. The Reset Account option did not work, so I used the Deactivate account option. When attempting to input the account credentials again, the dialog box freezes after hitting Enter, and the program freezes and has to be terminated in the Windows Task Manager. I have all the latest Windows 10 Updates and have Quicken R30.14

Comments

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4
    Are you using the USAA member number & pin?  What was the error you received when it stopped working?
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • Highflyer68
    Highflyer68 Member ✭✭
    Ok, after wasting many hours troubleshooting I discovered the following: Quicken update R30.19 today fixed the USAA dialog login boxes in that they don't freeze the program anymore. However, the verbiage in the dialog boxes are INCORRECT. After many iterations of locking myself out, I found that the ONLINE ID (not USAA number), in combination with the website login password (not the PIN), worked in getting me past the first step. USAA is upgrading their login security and I eventually discovered I had to set a new login password with all of their new parameter, to include a password length of 12 character MAX. After sorting all that out, the next dialog box asks for the PIN, which worked. The next dialog box asks to send a second factor login passcode. I had to do the passcode dialog box twice and then the USAA Direct Download set up properly. Please fix the verbiage in the dialog boxes so other people can login successfully. Thank you.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Highflyer68 you have just setup for Express Web Connect which isn't as reliable as Direct Connect.  Do Ctrl+A to bring up the account list and you will see I'm correct in what you setup and why you had to jump through all those loops.

The "verbiage" is correct for the best way to setup, as in using Direct Connect.  With USAA accounts if you use your customer number and PIN you get Direct Connect.  If you use your website username and all the rest you get Express Web Connect.

I'm not sure what problems you were running into since my checking and savings accounts have been working great with Direct Connect for years.  And I even tested setting up my accounts in a new data file, and that worked without any problems.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. If you go to the Account Details -> Online Services tab, it will most likely have a link that tells you that there is a better connection method available (Direct Connect).  You may or may not be able to get your accounts setup with Direct Connect that way.
    Signature:
  • Highflyer68
    Highflyer68 Member ✭✭
    Chris_QPW thank you for your replies. I had a Direct Connect with USAA for a long time and it stopped working a few weeks ago. I am not sure if that was associated with a Quicken update or not. I eventually had to go through the process above just to get any type of connection with USAA. Today, the Express Web Connect for USAA is showing a CC-501 error and is not downloading transactions. When I try to set up Direct Connect as outlined above, after entering the USAA number and PIN, I immediately get an OL-220-A "Quicken is unable to complete your request" dialog box...the program doesn't appear to actually try to connect. All my other banking connections are working. Not sure what to try next.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    after entering the USAA number and PIN, I immediately get an OL-220-A "Quicken is unable to complete your request" dialog box...the program doesn't appear to actually try to connect. All my other banking connections are working. Not sure what to try next.
    Be sure your USAA number is eight digits.  Use leading zeros to make it 8 digits if it is shorter.
    Quicken user since 1995
  • Highflyer68
    Highflyer68 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for in eight digits information - that would be nice to have in the login dialog box! The login process now goes to a second PIN input screen...but then times out.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Here is some additional information from the USAA FAQ for Quicken.

Why did my USAA account activity stop updating in Quicken?

The reasons vary based on your connection method, but here are some of the most common:

• One or more of the credentials you use to log on to usaa.com — your Online ID, password, PIN, security questions or security answers — was changed.
    • Your access to usaa.com has been suspended. Please note that invalid login attempts by Quicken due to incorrect credentials may cause your online access to be suspended.
    • There's a period of unusually high traffic volume on usaa.com.

If you decide to access usaa.com with one of our enhanced logon options like CyberCode Token or CyberCode Text, you'll need to use the Direct Connect method to connect to Quicken. You can switch connection methods yourself or call 800-531-USAA (8722) for help.

Quicken user since 1995
  • Highflyer68
    Highflyer68 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the USAA FAQ info. I think I will turn off Second Factor Authentication and see if that helps.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5
    FYI:  I have TFA using text or email for manual logins.  When Quicken logs in using Direct Connect there are no TFA requests that I am aware of.  It may be an issue when setting up DC access but it hasn't been a problem for me during routine Quicken updates.
    Quicken user since 1995
  • Highflyer68
    Highflyer68 Member ✭✭
    Still getting the OL-220-A "Quicken is unable to complete your request" dialog box immediately after submitting for Direct Connect...like it isn't even trying. Should I uninstall and re-install Quicken?
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5
    Still getting the OL-220-A "Quicken is unable to complete your request" dialog box immediately after submitting for Direct Connect...like it isn't even trying. Should I uninstall and re-install Quicken?
    I'd suggest calling USAA at the above number to again check if there is something on their end and get their help with the DC setup.  The second pin request you mentioned earlier seems unusual to me. 
    Quicken user since 1995
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth I have multiple factor authentication on in my USAA accounts, and it is working fine.  Direct Connect has a different security model that isn't affected by the website's settings.  What's more I believe that some time back USAA changed the policy and there isn't any way to turn off multiple factor authentication.
    Signature:
  • DonS
    DonS Member
    I was having the same problem Contacted both Quicken and USAA and they couldn't figure it out. Was working fine earlier. Each though it was the other's problem. Anyway, after thinking about this for awhile I thought I would try to do the activation with my VPN turned off. It worked and I was able to download transactions again. Don't know what changed as everything was downloading fine with the VPN turned on until about a week and a half ago. Anyway, see what happen if you are have a VPN and you turn it off for the set-up. I'll see what happens if I turn the VPN back on and try to download transactions again now that that I reset the account.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @DonS Thanks for the information.  It seems that I'm going to have to get in the habit of asking people having such problems if they are using VPN.

This has come up quite a bit of time lately.
    See this thread:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20128923
    Signature:
  • DonS
    DonS Member
    I just read the thread you mentioned. I did try, just now, to update my USAA accounts with the VPN turned on. I used a different VPN location, however, and the download worked fine. Perhaps USAA (and other banks) need to realize that people are going to use a VPN for extra security, and come up with some kind of work around. At least I know now that if I have this issue again, I should turn the VPN off temporarily or switch VPN sites until I find one that works. Thanks for sending info on that thread. Neither USAA nor Quicken mentioned a VPN as the possible cause. Live and learn.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10
    VPN used in this manner no extra security when connecting to your financial institution using https: (encrypted).  All it adds to the picture is your financial institution can't tell your real IP address.  I assume that if you trust your financial institution with your money, you trust that they won't abuse knowing your true IP address.

On the other hand the "bad guys" certainly want to block the financial institutions from having their IP addresses when they try to hack into their websites.
    Signature:
  • trishinhouston
    trishinhouston Member ✭✭
    This is insane with USAA Direct Connect on a PC. It hasn't been working for months. I called USAA to start a ticket. Waiting...
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is insane with USAA Direct Connect on a PC. It hasn't been working for months. I called USAA to start a ticket. Waiting...
    Are you using a VPN?

If so turn it off to download from USAA Direct Connect.
    I have had zero problems with downloading from USAA Direct Connect for many years.  I don't use a VPN.
    Signature:
  • Bill Sauter
    Bill Sauter Member ✭✭
    I too am having trouble with USAA downloads. I am able to successfully establish a Direct Connect connection with all 4 of my USAA accounts. When I do so, it downloads all of my outstanding transactions. The next time I try to do an Update, Quicken comes back with OL-220-A Quicken is unable to complete your request. I get that message until I Deactivate and re-establish Direct Connect at which time all of the transactions that haven't download do. Closing Quicken and rebooting doesn't help. I am running R31.16 on Windows 10 and have VPN turned off.
  • jdbodine
    jdbodine Member
    USAA made a change in the way it communicates with Quicken. It requires you to have a new unique ID and Pin separate from the website. If you are having errors logging in, there is a link in the dialog box that reads: Get Username and Pin (or something like that). Click that to be taken to a page that will give your credentials.

Worked for me.
This discussion has been closed.