data file corruption - older paychecks showing up multiple times?

I recently went to reconcile my checking account, and the previous balance no longer matched. This is a clear sign that something changed with previously reconciled amounts -- never a good sign. Sure enough, when i started digging into it, I found a bunch of previous paychecks were suddenly duplicated -- the same paycheck showing up in my register more than once -- sometimes 2x, sometimes 3x. It's not consistent though -- some months were unaffected, other months were suddenly duplicated. This is continuing to happen with new paychecks that have not yet been reconciled too --- for example, my 9/30/2020 paycheck showed up in the register 4 times!

When I check the "Billls & Income" tab, the paycheck itself is only there once. Has anyone else seen this problem? What could have caused this level of data file corruption?

Answers

• gwertzman
    gwertzman Member
    One idea that may be helpful --- I do have to edit my paycheck in the Bills & Income tab often, since my paycheck details often change (e.g., FICA tax drops to $0 halfway through the year typically). Is it possible that editing the paycheck is somehow corrupting or duplicating previously entered paychecks?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @gwertzman

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

I would recommend running the Validate & Repair tool on the data file from the File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair option.

In the Validate File window that opens, click the top box to "validate file" and then click OK.

When the validation completes, a data log will open in Notepad, please let us know if any errors or issues are found/repaired, and when ready close and re-open Quicken.

Please let us know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~