Email Invoice/Report Errors - where do bounced emails get sent ?

David
David Member ✭✭
When I email a Customer Invoice, there does not seem to be a feature to advise me if the email address is invalid. I other email programs the invalid email is returned to sender as 'undeliverable' How does Quicken handle this

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6
    I tried just sending a report using the "email icon" to invoke the Email screen.
    Sent it to myself, and looked at the email headers.... you could test this too...
    I don't think there is a good "Return-Path" for any bounced emails.
    I had CC'd my email report to a bogus email address, and it never came back.
    I sent an email directly to the bogus address - and it bounced as normal.
    I'ved XXX and ZZZ the actual email address.
    Return-Path: <[email protected]>
    [EDIT] - updated the topic title to better reflect the actual Q&A
    [EDIT] - I have also suggested this get moved
    to the more public section - Troubleshooting
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    This is a MAJOR problem. If I send invoices to 20-30 customers and 1 or more have changed their email address without informing me, I will be waiting a long time for my money. Is there a workaround and is there any chance Intuit may fix the program?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only workaround is to save an Invoice as a PDF and then email it yourself.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    David said:
    any chance Intuit may fix the program?
    None since Intuit doesn't own Quicken any more.  The new company is called Quicken Inc.  They may (or not) fix it.

It seems to me that what they need to do is set the "reply to" field in the email header.
    Right now most likely their server is set as the "from" address, and of course if it gets bounced back to that it is just going to be ignored.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    I guessed that the pdf option was the 'fix'. What a pain !!!
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    Quicken confirmed to me that it is a 'known issue' and they are 'working on it' !
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited April 28
    Undeliverable emails not returned to sender. In January, Quicken accepted it a problem and were 'working on it' Now they say ;the feature is not offered in quicken'
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you use Quicken Mac or Quicken for Windows?
    What version, edition level (Starter, Deluxe, etc.) and release of Quicken are you using?   US, Canadian or other country version?
    Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to get this information.
    What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using?

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    Yes - that was my original discussion, which is now closed. I wanted to update it on the fact that Quicken have changed it from a 'known bug' to a 'feature not offered', and see if anyone had further comment
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    Quicken for Windows Version R28.15, Canada, 2020, Build 27.1.28.15Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28
    Didn't notice the old topic was CLOSED - not sure why they do that  -
    Requested they be merged and re-opened... looks like that is what happened...
    For those following along - here is my reposting on the topic - now Quicken R32.10 -
    I tried just sending a report using the "email icon" to invoke the Email screen.
    Sent it to myself, and looked at the email source & headers.... you can test this too...
    I don't think there is a good "Return-Path" for any bounced emails.
    I sent an email directly to the bogus address - and it bounced as normal.
    I'ved XXX (name) and ZZZ (domain) the actual email address.
    Return-Path: <[email protected]>
    [EDIT] - updated the topic title to better reflect the actual Q&A
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited April 28
    I sent the email to the bogus address, copy to myself. the copy arrived, but the bogus did not get bounced back
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    David said:
    I sent the email to the bogus address, copy to myself. the copy arrived, but the bogus did not get bounced back
    It probably isn’t the main problem(the return/reply to address isn’t being set right), but I will point out something, not every bogus address will get bounced back.
    There are some domains/companies that have a policy of just deleting email that have the wrong addresses.
    Why?
    Because scammer’s sometimes purposely send bogus emails to probe if they can get a response.

To test if an address will really bounce first try sending to it in your normal email program.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.