Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Updating data structure at beginning of year

Questions re Quicken – Deluxe 2020 Version R30.14 Build 27.1.30.14

1) I download my transactions from my bank to my various accounts on Quicken. Once I have accepted them into Quicken do I need to keep the original downloaded file? When I look in my downloads folder I have a lot of file listed as transaction downloads. Can I delete them?
2) I have used Quicken for many years and have the full file on my computer. I now want to do a major change in the way I allocate expenses reducing the number of expense categories and their grouping. If I change the allocation scheme what happens to the old records? Will I still be able to view the allocations as they were in the past? Specifically, if I try to print out allocations from my 2015 data will it be the same as if I had done it in 2015? Or according to the new allocation scheme? Or just garbage?
3) I have many versions of QDATA(Restored) files on my computer. Do I need to keep all of them? Only the latest one? Or none of them?

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    #1  Once used, the file has no purpose unless you plan on restoring a data file and need to import them again.
    #2  If you create NEW categories and don't merge any of the old ones, your old allocation scheme should remain intact.
    #3  A Quicken backup is a copy of the complete file, so in theory you only need the last one, but I would advise that you keep more than that, in case corruption creeps into your data file and you might need to go back several backups to find one without the corruption.  At a minimum, I would use two thumbdrives and alternate between them when making the backups.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "When I look in my downloads folder I have a lot of file listed as transaction downloads. Can I delete them?"
    Well, the information in those files have been sucked into Quicken, so at this point these files are just taking up space on your hard drive.  If your implicit question is "will deleting these files affect my Quicken file" the answer to that is "No."
    " If I change the allocation scheme what happens to the old records?'
    Assuming what you have in mind is creating a bunch of new Categories and Subcategories, this won't affect the old transactions at all.  You'll still be able to look at 2015 as it was back in 2015. 
    " I have many versions of QDATA(Restored) files on my computer. Do I need to keep all of them? Only the latest one? Or none of them?"
    I take it you've restored many backups and have given the restored files unique names so as to be able to distinguish them?  If you have sufficient backups of your current "good" working file I see no significant reason to keep those other files.  Presumably all the data in those files is in your good working file.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) You do not need to save .QFX files after they have been imported into your Quicken files.

2) What happens to old records is entirely up to you.  If you don't want to impact old records, you may save a Quicken file backup or create new categories.   If you modify existing categories, you modify existing records.  If you want to be able to view an earlier allocation scheme, view the allocation scheme in a Quicken file backup you saved before you changed the allocation scheme.

3) How many Quicken files and Quicken file backups you save is entirely up to you.  Personally, I only keep 5 automatic backups and 1 manual backup.   However, I am using Window's File History to maintain backups hourly for a month and monthly there after on an external drive.  I also use Duplicati to maintain 3 months of daily backups, followed by 3 months of weekly backups, followed by 6 monthly backups all securely on cloud storage.    In addition, I maintain 3 monthly system images and weekly Windows backups on an external drive.  I stlll have access (laziness) to over 20 backup data files saved when I used to upgrade Quicken annually.  

Disk space is cheap.