Quicken keeps forgetting payee details

I have Automatically Memorize New Payees UN-checked. I go through all my memorized payees and delete erroneous entries, fix the associated category, delete duplicates, etc.

Nevertheless, every time I get new transactions downloaded from my banks, Quicken will have forgotten some of the details. I'll have entries with no category. Entries with multiple entries under the same name. Entries with the wrong category. I'll go back in and fix all the details in the memorized payee list. My next download... more messed up entries.

Why does Quicken do this?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    "Categories" don't  download from your banks.  Your bank doesn't know if your Kroger purchases were for Groceries, Pharmacy, Gasoline, Reading, Gifts or what.
    Memorized Payees, on the other hand, can and frequently do contain your specific categories.
    I'd suggest that you examine that download file and see what's actually being sent.  HELP, Log Files, OFXLog.  Save  this to your desktop and  then open it with
    WordPad or NotePad (NOT MS Word). 
    Search from the bottom up in that file, the $ or vendor name would be a good search values, and see what Q is receiving.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check Edit / Preferences / Data Entry and Quickfill.
    These options should be checkmarked:
    - Complete fields using previous entries
    - Recall memorized payees
  • Quercus47
    Quercus47 Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    >I'd suggest that you examine that download file and see what's actually being sent. 

Looked, nothing unusual besides payee, date, amount and transaction ID.

> @UKR said:
    > Check Edit / Preferences / Data Entry and Quickfill.
    > These options should be checkmarked:
    > - Complete fields using previous entries
    > - Recall memorized payees

They are (as in were already) checked.

So those are not the answer. Other thoughts?
  • dlipetz
    dlipetz Member ✭✭
    I have similar issues. Memorized Payees where I can't delete the tags (they keep coming back after cloud sync it seems). Categories missing from split transactions in Reminder transactions. Every month I have to fix the same transactions as the categories have disappeared. I have even deleted and recreated the Reminder to no avail.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are sure that a Sync process is messing up your data file, may I suggest that you STOP SYNC (in Edit / Preferences / Mobile & Web) until further notice, until we all can be sure that the Quicken programmers have found and fixed the problem.
  • dlipetz
    dlipetz Member ✭✭
    edited January 11
    [Removed-Duplicate]

• dlipetz
    dlipetz Member ✭✭
    I have been experiencing two specific issues with the following transaction types:

1) A specific Bill Reminder transaction for a monthly bill (mortgage payment). The scheduled transaction is split between 3 categories (interest, mortgage, escrow). Consistently, after a One Step Update and Cloud Sync, the Categories for mortgage and escrow are removed from the split transaction (they are blank).

2) Two specific (and locked) Memorized transactions for frequently visited businesses - one is stored as a Split and the other is not. Neither have any Tags but I often add Tags (and Splits) to the transaction when entering into the register. Consistently, after a One Step Update and Cloud Sync, the Memorized transactions appear in the list with a Tag and/or the Split lines removed. The Sync process is changing these Memorized transactions despite them being Locked.

On numerous occasions, I have deleted the transactions and recreated them but the issues remained as soon as One Step Update (with SYNC) completes.

As a test, I disabled SYNC and then performed a One Step Update after ensuring the Memorized transactions and the Reminder transactions were set correctly. After the One Step Update completed, all the transactions in question remained intact and correct. I exited and restarted Quicken and they remained intact as well. A subsequent One Step Update was performed (without Sync) and again, the transactions remained correct.

Given that it appeared the SYNC process is corrupting these transactions, I decided to RESET the Cloud Data and resync. After the reset/resync process completed, I found the following unwanted data changes returned:

1) With the Reminder transactions noted above, two of the categories in the split transaction were now blank again.

2) With the 2 Memorized transactions noted above, the Split was removed from the transaction memorized with a Split, and Tags were added to both.

It is clearly the Cloud Sync process that is changing these transactions and it is not only maddening but makes me question the integrity of the entire process.

I will have to turn off Cloud Sync and leave it off until such a time when the process works properly.

This sort of thing has been my biggest complaint with Quicken for years - quality control. I have burned by faulty releases, had to perform more restores than I care to admit, and have lost plenty of data over the years. I have been using Quicken since 1997 and have updated consistently and loyally.