Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How can I STOP my bank transactions from downloading during "One Step Update"

This is new. All of a sudden, my bank statement is downloading during my usual one step update. It never used to do this. I DO NOT WANT this since I manually populate my bank register. It is making my life miserable. Please help.

Best Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    If you activate an Account with a connection to the Financial Institution (FI) handling the account, it's pretty much an "all or nothing" situation.  If you're making online payments through Quicken via the FI you're going to get transaction downloads and there's no way to stop that.
    Virtually every single transaction in my checking Account is a manual entry by me.  I do a One Step Update every day and don't get confused in the least.  I don't allow the transactions downloaded to automatically enter in the checking Account register.  Instead, they settle into the "Downloaded Transactions" window below the register and most of the time they all "match" an already existing manual entry.  It's simple enough to click each downloaded entry, verify that Quicken has got the correct transaction, and then click "Accept."
    Every once in a while I might manually enter an incorrect amount for a transaction in the register and Quicken will flag a transaction as "New."  After seeing my error and correcting the amount, Quicken's "New" changes to "Match", and I accept the transaction.
    Even more rarely I'll somehow forget to make any entry at all in the checking Account register and will be surprised by the "New" transaction that shows up in the Downloaded Transactions.  In that case, once I realize my mistake, I'll allow the downloaded transaction into the register and modify it to get the accounting correct, if necessary.
    This has worked for me for years and years and, in my opinion, is "best practices" when it comes to maintaining accurate accounting records.  I know that Quicken can't really "do my accounting for me", it's just not that smart.
    Is your confusion arising because you are allowing downloaded transactions to automatically enter the register, potentially creating duplicate entries?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Tom Young said:
    If you activate an Account with a connection to the Financial Institution (FI) handling the account, it's pretty much an "all or nothing" situation.
    This really shouldn't be true, or at least it wasn't in the past.

It is true that you from the One Step Updates settings it is selecting financial institutions, so from there you can't pick and choose accounts at that financial institution.  But when you go through activating accounts you certainly should be able to pick and choose which are activated for downloading or not.

If you are getting transactions when the account is deactivated that is certainly a bug.

Select Ctrl+A and look at the connections to see if you that checking account connected or not.

If the accounts at that financial institution are Express Web Connect I wouldn't be surprised if this is some kind of unintended consequence of the new QCS connection system.

As far as Quicken Bill Manager is concerned I wouldn't tough it with a hundred foot pole.  My credit score is valuable to me and that is the perfect way to trash it.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    A few points.  Like I said One Step Update settings are per financial institution, not accounts.  Deactivating the individual account was certainly the way to go to get what you wanted.

Quicken Inc didn't have any choice on dropping Quicken Bill Pay, the third partly that provided it got out of the business.

The "Online Bills" and "Quicken Bill Manager" are completely separate from downloading of transactions.  The history several years ago they got a third party to provide Online bills.  Even through all these years that has been hit or miss because of the nature of the process.  There isn't any standard for getting bills from billers so the third party service either "makes arrangements" or "screen scrapes" to get the bills from the biller's unstandardized websites.  When Quicken Bill Pay was going away Quicken Inc went with the same third party to provide paying bills.  And unlike Direct Connect, the old Quicken Bill Pay, or your financial institution's website where there is only one site that has to "work right" to send the bill.  Instead with this system they have "get it right" for even possible biller's website to schedule bills.  It just is never going to be reliable in my opinion.  I actually have setup automatic payments at all of my biller's websites and it is very reliable.  But that is a human looking at each site and making sure everything is setup correctly.  And what's more my requirements are simple "pay bill when due".  I'm not trying to do things like pay this bill on next week, or something like that.
    Signature:

Answers

• Tom Young
    edited January 4
    Right click on the Account name in the Account Bar to the left or right of the screen, select Edit/Delete account, click the Online Services tab and click Deactivate.  That will stop future downloading.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    What are you using One Step Update for if you aren't updating any transactions?

Not that you can start One Step Update, and instead of selecting "Update Now" you can select Settings and turn off options like downloading of transactions for a given financial institution.
    Signature:
  • Paul T. Zurka
    Paul T. Zurka Member ✭✭
    Tom:
    If I deactivate my banking account (which happens to be my checking account), won't that stop me from making on line payments?

Chris:
    I use One Step Update for all credit card and investment updates. I do not what my "checking account" information downloaded. That's the issue....... the checking account.
  • Tom Young
    Accepted Answer
    If you activate an Account with a connection to the Financial Institution (FI) handling the account, it's pretty much an "all or nothing" situation.  If you're making online payments through Quicken via the FI you're going to get transaction downloads and there's no way to stop that.
    Virtually every single transaction in my checking Account is a manual entry by me.  I do a One Step Update every day and don't get confused in the least.  I don't allow the transactions downloaded to automatically enter in the checking Account register.  Instead, they settle into the "Downloaded Transactions" window below the register and most of the time they all "match" an already existing manual entry.  It's simple enough to click each downloaded entry, verify that Quicken has got the correct transaction, and then click "Accept."
    Every once in a while I might manually enter an incorrect amount for a transaction in the register and Quicken will flag a transaction as "New."  After seeing my error and correcting the amount, Quicken's "New" changes to "Match", and I accept the transaction.
    Even more rarely I'll somehow forget to make any entry at all in the checking Account register and will be surprised by the "New" transaction that shows up in the Downloaded Transactions.  In that case, once I realize my mistake, I'll allow the downloaded transaction into the register and modify it to get the accounting correct, if necessary.
    This has worked for me for years and years and, in my opinion, is "best practices" when it comes to maintaining accurate accounting records.  I know that Quicken can't really "do my accounting for me", it's just not that smart.
    Is your confusion arising because you are allowing downloaded transactions to automatically enter the register, potentially creating duplicate entries?
  • Paul T. Zurka
    Paul T. Zurka Member ✭✭
    Thanks Tom:
    I have been a Quicken user since 1993 and this has only begun to happen after the myriad of updates that I have been receiving for the software. If this is the "new format", then I guess I'll just have to live with it and do as you do, although I'm only a weekly downloader. Also, I'm a little disappointed with the new "Bill Manager". Unlike the older versions that allowed you to enter an on-line payment well in advance (with detail category breakouts) and schedule the payment for a few days prior to the due date, I have yet been able to figure out how to do this with the newer software....... perhaps you can help with that?
    Paul
  • charlimcghee
    charlimcghee Member ✭✭
    When downloading my transactions, I've been getting an error message: "QuickFilleRulesResetError-Review" option "update" now. It doesn't update but it does seem to download. I suspect I have accidentally reset something, but what and how do I UN set it? Thanks
  • Tom Young
    Hi Paul:
    I can't help with the Bill Manager as I've not used it.  I'm aware of a lot of complaints about its utility and reliability and I know some SuperUsers who have tried it ultimately abandoned it for those reasons.  My bank - Schwab - has a bill pay service that works very well in terms of feeding you billing information and I use that service even though I can't do the "pay" part directly through Quicken.
    I was aware that at the outset Bill Manager limited your payment scheduling to "now", but I thought that had been fixed so future payments could be established.  This video makes the claim explicitly:

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Tom Young said:
    If you activate an Account with a connection to the Financial Institution (FI) handling the account, it's pretty much an "all or nothing" situation.
    This really shouldn't be true, or at least it wasn't in the past.

It is true that you from the One Step Updates settings it is selecting financial institutions, so from there you can't pick and choose accounts at that financial institution.  But when you go through activating accounts you certainly should be able to pick and choose which are activated for downloading or not.

If you are getting transactions when the account is deactivated that is certainly a bug.

Select Ctrl+A and look at the connections to see if you that checking account connected or not.

If the accounts at that financial institution are Express Web Connect I wouldn't be surprised if this is some kind of unintended consequence of the new QCS connection system.

As far as Quicken Bill Manager is concerned I wouldn't tough it with a hundred foot pole.  My credit score is valuable to me and that is the perfect way to trash it.
    Signature:
  • Paul T. Zurka
    Paul T. Zurka Member ✭✭
    Thanks Tom:
    I too have gone to payments through websites of my billers and have pretty much abandoned the Quicken Bill Manager...... they had such a good thing and totally messed it up. I'll look at the link you sent and see if it makes sense.

Thanks Chris:
    Unfortunately, my "checking account" is not included in the accounts in the One Step Updates so I couldn't uncheck it. However, deactivating that account, per Tom's suggestion, stopped the data downloads for the checking account and it appears that I am still getting the information for my "Bills & Income"

Paul
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    A few points.  Like I said One Step Update settings are per financial institution, not accounts.  Deactivating the individual account was certainly the way to go to get what you wanted.

Quicken Inc didn't have any choice on dropping Quicken Bill Pay, the third partly that provided it got out of the business.

The "Online Bills" and "Quicken Bill Manager" are completely separate from downloading of transactions.  The history several years ago they got a third party to provide Online bills.  Even through all these years that has been hit or miss because of the nature of the process.  There isn't any standard for getting bills from billers so the third party service either "makes arrangements" or "screen scrapes" to get the bills from the biller's unstandardized websites.  When Quicken Bill Pay was going away Quicken Inc went with the same third party to provide paying bills.  And unlike Direct Connect, the old Quicken Bill Pay, or your financial institution's website where there is only one site that has to "work right" to send the bill.  Instead with this system they have "get it right" for even possible biller's website to schedule bills.  It just is never going to be reliable in my opinion.  I actually have setup automatic payments at all of my biller's websites and it is very reliable.  But that is a human looking at each site and making sure everything is setup correctly.  And what's more my requirements are simple "pay bill when due".  I'm not trying to do things like pay this bill on next week, or something like that.
    Signature:
  • Paul T. Zurka
    Paul T. Zurka Member ✭✭
    I get it. I have recently made arrangements with several billers to simply debit my bank account. However, we have a small business which requires a lot of detail for tax reporting so my Quicken register has be detailed enough to report business expenses. That means, despite the ease of paying the bill on line as one number (especially the credit and debit cards), I still have to mirror the payment in detail in Quicken.

I looked at the information that Tom sent to me and it looks like it might just work (similar to the other method)

Thanks for all of the information.
This discussion has been closed.