Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How Can I Restart Online Bank Connection

Yesterday I updated my Discover Bank password on their web site. Everything was fine.
I changed the password in password vault but I kept getting a server error of some sort. This led to a lockout which I have since fixed.

So I deactivated all the Discover Bank accounts. When I first tried to reactivate them, I think I was given a choice of how to get a code and chose txt. This is what I did to unlock earlier and Discover Bank then asked which phone (I have the house and cell registered). However Quicken did not ask and I guess chose the first phone (the home phone) for me. Of course I did not get a txt. Ever since then, it does not ask and I can't get a text. I even went on to Discover Bank and changed it so only the cell phone is listed but still no txt.

So how do I get Quicken to restart the process so I can choose email or some other method?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Spokey

A couple of questions - what connection method were you using with Discover Bank when it was working and at that time did you need to use two-factor authorization in order to login through Quicken and/or to connect through the bank's website? 

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Spokey
    Spokey Member ✭✭
    I don't know the prior connection. Is that somewhere in the logs that I could find?

I don't normally use 2FA. But changing the password requires it. So the first time was when I changed the password on the web.

I didn't have the code popup when I first tried to get in via Quicken. I just got the error(having updated the pwd in the vault). Naturally, I re-entered/checked the password in the vault (I use a pwd manager so I'm sure I got it in OK given it was pasted in). Then when I deactivated/reactivated, I first was asked the id/pwd then came the whole code bit.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Spokey

If you have the ability to deactivate 2FA on the bank's website, I would do that first. Then I suggest that you deactivate the accounts in Quicken > close Quicken and restart > then try reactivate the accounts again.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Spokey
    Spokey Member ✭✭
    It's not really 2FA. It's just like most institutions, they require a pin when you add to quicken or any first time stuff and in this case to unblock after quicken failures last night.

But happily, I got it working. I had already deactivated. And I'm pretty sure I had exited quicken before. So I added a PC reboot this time and it worked. Maybe the voodoo chants helped.

Anyway, I still never got a text message but this time I could restart and get asked how to get the pin again so I chose phone. No phone call either. Third time around I tried email and got one that way (txt did work via the PC/Browser/ Web site last night).

So thanks for your help. I've gotten in, connected and a couple transactions downloaded.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear things are working again.  Take care!

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.