Reconcile Beginning Balance Wrong [edited]

Fred Idtse
Fred Idtse Member ✭✭
When I try to reconcile my bank statement I enter the beginning and ending balances, but quicken enters a different beginning amount. This creates a problem where I cannot reconcile my account without entering some false data. Then the next month I encou8nter the same problem even though with the false data balancing the account it repeats the problem

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the beginning balance of the reconcile is changing from what they were, it is because the Reconciled transactions have changed.

The opening balance of the reconcile is the sum total of all of the R transactions in the register and is calculated at the time of reconciliation and not stored for future reference.

What could change that # is one of the following:
    1. a blank or C was changed to a R
    2. an R was changed to a blank or C
    3. the amount of an R was changed
    4. a new transaction was marked R to begin with
    5. a R transaction was deleted

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • dkgs
    dkgs Member
    Well when the beginning balance changes the account no longer balances.... and the beginning balance should NEVER change. There is no reason for it to EVER change.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    dkgs said:
    Well when the beginning balance changes the account no longer balances.... and the beginning balance should NEVER change. There is no reason for it to EVER change.
    The beginning balance is calculated from the transactions.  And unless you have a password set to stop entries for transactions older than a certain date set then there isn't anything in Quicken that doesn't allow those transactions to be changed.  As such the beginning balance can change.

The transactions can be changed by the user, or by Quicken.  In the case of Quicken changing them, it can be a bug in either downloading transactions or in the syncing to Mobile/Web.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    dkgs said:
    @dkgs

True, the Beginning Balance of an account's register should never change unless you add transactions to the history in the account, BUT, that is not the beginning balance that is referred to in this thread.
    The OP is referring to the beginning balance shown in the reconcile process which is the sum of all of the reconciled (R) transactions in the account.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Quicken Alyssa
    Quicken Alyssa Moderator mod
    edited November 2021
    Hello @dkgs & @Fred Idtse,

Just to add to what the SuperUsers have said. When you reconcile an account the beginning balance is provided, as long as the account has been previously reconciled. In future reconciliations, the beginning balance that is provided should never be changed. 

Do let us know if you have any more questions on this. Thank you.

Quicken Alyssa

This discussion has been closed.