Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Backing up previous years and starting over on a new computer.

I am still using Quicken for Windows 2000. I have many years of data from 2003 forward. I want to keep the data on a flash drive and start over with my new laptop. I know I have to upgrade to a newer version before I can get the online version. I don’t want to lose all the memorized transaction data. What do you suggest?

Best Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    First of all convert your data to the 2013 version on the old computer.  You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.

FYI - All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like - .IDX, .QEL, .QPH & .QDF, and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF in starting in 2010.

Then you will have one .qdf file to bring over to the new computer and new version.  Don't you want to continue on in the same data file?  You don't have to start over.  
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    My data file goes back to 1996 and other superusers on here have data files that go back further than that.  As long as you have not been an active day trader generating mountains of investment transactions, you should not have any trouble keeping it all in one data file.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    First of all convert your data to the 2013 version on the old computer.  You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.

FYI - All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like - .IDX, .QEL, .QPH & .QDF, and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF in starting in 2010.

Then you will have one .qdf file to bring over to the new computer and new version.  Don't you want to continue on in the same data file?  You don't have to start over.  
  • I do want to continue in the same data file but there are so many transactions (17 years worth) that I thought it might be too much to transfer. Can I save the first 14 years on a flash drive?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    My data file goes back to 1996 and other superusers on here have data files that go back further than that.  As long as you have not been an active day trader generating mountains of investment transactions, you should not have any trouble keeping it all in one data file.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Thank you both so much. You have been very helpful.😃
  • I backed up my file in Quicken 2000 on OneDrive and a flash drive. I installed 2004, transferred the data and backed it up again in both drives. I didn't check to see if the data was correct in 2004. I followed the instructions and installed 2013 and transferred the data from my flash drive. When I opened it the data after 2011 was gone. I tried to transfer the data from OneDrive but it said I needed 2004 to open it. I've spent the last hour trying to reinstall 2004. When I had trouble, I thought it was because 2013 was still there, so I deleted both programs and when I try to install 2004 now it says it can't complete installation because it was unable to find one or more essential files. I'm guessing that's because I deleted both programs. I don't what to do now. I think the data in OneDrive is correct. I hope so.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally, when Quicken says you need to install 2004, it means your data file is corrupt.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Could it have been corrupted when I transferred it to Quicken 2004?
    Any idea on my next step?