Tags Being Reordered

I use tags extensively and may have 3-4 Tags per transaction. At some point they're being reordered. So, for example Committed-60%:Fixed:Want may get changed to Committed-60%:Want:Fixed. This causes issues for me because I export a tag report to excel to do reporting and the tags need to be in the order that I've entered them.

Anyone else experiencing this? Is this a known issue?

David
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @nooneyouknow39

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

I have a few additional questions to help further isolate the cause of this behavior.

Can you please confirm the location of the Quicken Data File?

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-find-quicken-data-file-quicken-windows

Storing the file in an unsupported location such as a cloud or network drive can cause the behavior that you have described.

I do not see this step listed here so I apologize if you have already done so, but have you attempted to validate the file?

The Validate & Repair tool is located under the File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair option.

In the Validate File window that opens, click the top box to "validate file" and then click OK.

Let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka I think you and I read this question differently.  I don't read "corrupted data file", I read "this isn't the behavior I would like".

This is how I understand this situation.

When you use multiple tags the "text syntax" looks like this:
    Tag1:Tag2:Tag3

In reality there is an ambiguity to this.

If you look at categories you will set that they have the same kind of syntax, but there is clearly major difference between the two.

When you look at the category list if you have:
    Cat1:Cat2:Cat3

You will see that Cat2 is under Cat1 and Cat3 is under Cat2 like this:
    Cat1
        Cat2
            Cat3

But if you look at the tags you will see this:
    Tag1
    Tag2
    Tag3

So tags have to "levels".

So in theory Tag1:Tag2 is the same as Tag2:Tag1.

You will notice that the reports and searching for tags are all like this.  As in "give me the report that has Tag 1 on it" will give you any transaction that has that tag even if other tags are also on that transaction.

But there is one exception that was recently pointed out in another post.
    In the report customizing on the Tags tab there is a "Tag contains" text box.

In if you put in: Tag1:Tag2, but tagged the transactions Tag2:Tag1 it will consider those different.

In my opinion that is a mistake because tags aren't suppose to have a "level", but it is what it is.

Now after all this long winded explanation.

@nooneyouknow39 is saying that even though he/she might have tagged a transaction with Tag1:Tag2, when exported to Excel it might come out as Tag2:Tag1, and that is messing up what he/she is doing.

In truth I don't consider that a bug because tags have no "levels", and as such there is no "correct order" for reporting on them.  As long as both tags appear in exported transaction that is "correct".
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • The data file is stored on a local drive, not network, external USB, etc.

I understand tags are not hierarchical but they should remain in the order they were entered. The order may be changing after I open Quicken but I'm not sure yet what behavior is causing the reordering.

David
  • And just to add to my previous post the tags weren't reordered in the past. I'm just not sure what possible caused the the behavior.

Quicken_Tyka: I'll validate the file and see what comes out of that...thx