Home Quicken for Windows Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows Manage Accounts and Transactions (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Have a Renaming Rule that says "Don't rename"

In downloaded transactions from my credit union, all checks show a payee like
DRAFT #nnnn TRACKET nnnnnnn

When accepting the downloaded transactions, every time I change the payee I get a popup asking if I want to create a renaming rule. Since all checks are named this way, there are many payees and no renaming rule will work.

I'd like to be able to create a renaming rule recognizing these checks that says "don't rename this transaction and don't ask me about it".
Tagged:
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Tools -> Renaming Rules,

(I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • plspls Member ✭✭
    It would have been nice if the popup that appears when changing the payee offered that option.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For better results retaining proper Payee Names for paper checks I write and other transactions, I always record a manual register transaction (or use a scheduled reminder) as soon as I write a paper check.
    This gives me proper transactions with correct payee names and categories. When the check clears the bank a few days later, Quicken matches the downloaded transaction to the already existing register transaction and I don't have to worry about having my register cluttered up with a lot of "Check xxxxx" transactions where I don't know who it was for.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you have lots of checks I certainly recommend @UKR's suggestion, maybe even if you have just a few.  I rarely write checks so when they come in I do know what they are or it isn't a big deal for me to jump to the website to get the image (truth is it is my wife that usually writes such checks and she doesn't enter anything in Quicken, so that is how I miss putting them in).

But I wanted to point out you will notice that I don't have any "no not rename" rules, and why.  A payee like you describe is useless to me.  About the only useful information is the check number and amount.  So I have a renaming rule of "Check". Any payee that has Check in it becomes Check.  And then I have a memorized payee for Check that has no category or amount, and is locked.

So for me these show up as Check with a category of nothing, that I then change to the correct category when I'm reviewing them.

(I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)