Home Before you Buy
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Can Quicken Basic read the qdata.qdf file from Quicken Deluxe?

Dwight MitchellDwight Mitchell Member ✭✭
edited January 10 in Before you Buy
I'm finding now that all I need is to take care of is my banking accounts and to be able generate reports for tax time. I really don't need all the add on's from Deluxe.

Best Answer

• Quicken FranciscoQuicken Francisco Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer

Hello @Dwight Mitchell

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. TO answer your question here yes the basic version will still let you download and read your current QDF file. There is more to it with two of the big ones being that if you do have any sort of investments you'll no longer be able to see them in the basic version of quicken. The second one being that with the starter version if your subscription were to expire the program will become read only mode meaning if you wanted to type in transactions manually you'll be unable to. Here's also another thread with a similar question to the one you had for a bit more information from other users.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7885192/downgrade-from-deluxe-to-starter

Please let us know if this helps resolve the issue for you.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

Answers

• Quicken FranciscoQuicken Francisco Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer

Hello @Dwight Mitchell

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. TO answer your question here yes the basic version will still let you download and read your current QDF file. There is more to it with two of the big ones being that if you do have any sort of investments you'll no longer be able to see them in the basic version of quicken. The second one being that with the starter version if your subscription were to expire the program will become read only mode meaning if you wanted to type in transactions manually you'll be unable to. Here's also another thread with a similar question to the one you had for a bit more information from other users.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7885192/downgrade-from-deluxe-to-starter

Please let us know if this helps resolve the issue for you.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Dwight MitchellDwight Mitchell Member ✭✭
    So in other words I have to keep renewing my Deluxe renewed.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Or keep renewing the Starter Edition.  Also I don't think Starter has Tags.  And maybe loans.  I would stick with Deluxe.
    Thanks
  • RickORickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Just so we're using the right terminology, it's called Starter (not basic).

The Starter version will read the Deluxe version's data file but prevent access to unsupported features such as investment accounts, as Franciso indicates above.

As to whether you need to renew, that depends. If you downgrade to Starter, you would not be able to enter any new transactions after the subscription expires, so you would very likely have to keep it current.

If you stick with Deluxe, then you would not have to renew subject to two important limitations after expiration:

1. You would no longer be able to download or import transaction data from any financial institution, and 

2. You would have renewal reminders that take up a significant portion of the screen real estate while working with the program.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
    Thanks RickO, My present Deluxe has always been auto renewal. I don't use it for investments (foreign or domestic). I'm getting ready to retire and wanted to see how to keep my expenses down no matter how little.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can turn off auto renewal and shop around for a better price for Quicken. Check Walmart, Costco, Staples or Amazon. Also, Quicken Starter doesn't handle loan accounts.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
    Greg, I've already checked that out. I just want to be sure that Starter will work. The auto renewal is fine by me as Quicken gives me plenty of notice.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    If you find Starter doesn't have something you need you can always upgrade to Deluxe.  Just pay the difference in price.
    volvogirl, I already have Deluxe. I've been thinking of downgrading to Starter.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    @Dwight Mitchell  re-read @volvogirl's post.  Se said "If ... Starter doesn't have something that you need".
    She realizes that you're downgrading, but giving you options for the future.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    … how to keep my expenses down no matter how little.

If you are trying to cut costs, then you want to disable auto-renewal because it is ALWAYS at MSRP (full price, no discount) , you can save some money by shopping the retailers.  You can probably get retail Deluxe for Quicken.com's Starter price.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

Thank you everyone for your answers. Since my Deluxe version just renewed last month I might try Starter. If it doesn't work out for me I can revert back to Deluxe.