Why does the Bill reminder not get updated on a payment so frequently?

This happens a lot, you can see it clearly here. I added a Reminder by right clicking on a Chase Payment that auto pays from their web site. I get the transaction downloaded. The money comes out of a bank account. As this image shows, the payment is clearly recognized (on the right side), yet the reminder is not updated to the next month - I have to click "Ignore this one". It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens a lot - sometimes more for some vendors and none for others. Can this get fixed please?

Answers

• Quicken Diana
    Quicken Diana Moderator, Employee mod
    edited January 11

[email protected]Don Awalt

Thank you for posting in the Community today, though I’m sorry that you are experiencing this issue with the bill reminder.

First, please check to see that you are updated to the newest software version R30.21 by choosing the HELP menu, then ABOUT QUICKEN. If the software is not updated to this version, please choose CHECK FOR UPDATES from the HELP menu and install the update. 

I have seen this issue resolved by running a validation on the data file. To do this, choose the FILE menu, then FILE OPERATIONS and from there choose VALIDATE AND REPAIR. Choose the first option on the left VALIDATE FILE as shown in the picture below, then OK at the bottom right.

Though this does not seem to be the issue, also be sure that there is only one reminder in place for the Chase Payment in question.

You mentioned that the reminder does not malfunction every time, so it may be a while before you can say for sure if this step fixed the problem but let us know if it happens again. I will keep an eye on your post!

Thank you

Quicken Diana

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, @“Quicken Diana”, thanks for the reply. Some answers:

1. I run Validate and Super Validate weekly. Data file is fine.
    2. only 1 reminder for Chase.
    3. I was unclear, I meant some reminders work all the time, some never. The Chase one never works.
    4. I have deleted and added a new reminder for Chase from the right click on the transaction in the register, with no success.

thanks!
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Diana, here is another example of one that DOES NOT work - my Wells Fargo. You can see the payment was made, but the reminder remains. There must be some reason for this - being memorized, being not memorized, wording of the payee that comes down, something...help!

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think this has anything to do with what you are doing.  In fact it way I don't think it has anything to do with what Quicken is doing.

The whole concept of "Online Bills" is "The 'bill' will control the date and amount of the bill/reminder."

So where does the information for the 'bill' come from?
    First answer:  The third party system.
    Follow up, how do they get it?: They "somehow" log into the biller's site and get this information.

If you pay attention to what is on your biller's site you will notice that different biller's put up different information, and they update it at different times.

After a payment some biller's will update the payment amount to zero (something that has reflected into Quicken and there are a lot complaints about because zero is terrible for predicting your next bill).  Some biller's will just leave the original amount.  And still others will remove the information completely.

I think you are seeing the direct result of this information being fed into Quicken, and it "believing it".

Note this could also just be a bug in Quicken, well it is a "bug" no matter what is causing it, but the above might influence how it needs to be fixed.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Chris_QPW for the reply. I think you are describing something different, however. While I said this was a bill that was paid online it is not a Quicken online bill. I have use those before. This is strictly just a reminder created from a transaction that came in and Quicken is not matching it. Many of these that I set up work, some do not as in these two examples. I cannot find any reason why they should not match. I was hoping quicken might identify a problem or fix a bug. Thanks!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, sorry I misunderstood. Yes this is something different.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.