Please add the ability to use Tags in budgets

Because of how granular I have my categories setup, using categories in my budget is not very useful. For example: I split out sales tax from each purchase. Two categories I'd like to budget for are Clothes and Dining Out. Purchases in each of those categories include sales tax, but sales tax is it's own category. For budgeting purposes, I'd like that sales tax to show in my budget under either Clothes or Dining Out as appropriate.

Another example for why being able to categorize with tags would be useful to me is the ability to lump certain categories together. For example: Gas, Water and Electricity are all separate, but I'd like to lump them together as Utilities.

(I hope I have put this suggestion post in the correct place. I apologize if in the wrong place. I'm new to posting in the Quicken community.)
2 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    bubbles said:

Another example for why being able to categorize with tags would be useful to me is the ability to lump certain categories together. For example: Gas, Water and Electricity are all separate, but I'd like to lump them together as Utilities.

I believe you can do this part of your suggestion already.

Assuming that you have Gas, Water, and Electricity under the parent category of Utilities, then you can deselect those and select just the parent Utilities category.

Then you will get a line like this (budget only selected in the Annual view), where you can budget for all them together:

If for some reason you want to have one or more sub categories separate from this "total" it can be done, but is it is a little less clear of what is going on  (now your "total" for those above are in "Everything Else").

And just to be even more confusing.  ;)  There is the case of entering transactions right into the parent category (which is something I never do if I have sub categories):

Other (when selecting it in the budget categories under Utilities) and given as "Other Utilities" above is for the parent Utilities category transactions. 

Note you can vote for you own idea above or using tags.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member
    Thanks for the info! I'll play around with that. I suspect, though, that in many cases my transactions and categories are setup so granularly that it will be very confusing (curse you Type A personality!). But I know it will help in some other cases.