Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Unable to connect to My529 (Utah Educational Savings Plan)

"During the last online session, Quicken encountered an online error [OL-297-A]. Quicken is unable to establish an Internet connection. This may be due to a temporary server outage or your computer's settings.".

My529 says they have contacted Quicken (also a Quicken for Mac problem). Any info on a resolution?

Answers

• Hello @Pam

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. Generally with 297 errors there's not much we can do on Quickens side as the error is related to the FI's server as it's a direct connect issue. That being said there's a couple of things we can try here is in an article I'll leave down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-ol-297

Once you have a chance try out the steps in the article let us know if you're able to connect. 

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• PamPam Member ✭✭
    I followed your instructions. The only setting I needed to change was to enable third party cookies. However, that didn't solve the problem. Where do we go from here? It is only with MY529 that I am having problems
  • Paul093Paul093 Member ✭✭
    I am having the same problem. Just recently started happening. Could the two factor authorization be a factor? I have it set to "remember" my device already.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For both users....
    1 - What version of Quicken..... Help --> About Quicken
    2 - What is the name of the brokerage as it appears in your Quicken ?
    3 - Was it working, and now fails - or is this the very first attempt ?
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
    1. Quicken Deluxe subscription version Release R 30.21
    2. my529-UESP
    3. Yes, this account has worked with no issue for over 8 years on multiple versions of Quicken. Looks like last successful download was on 1/4/21.
    looks OK... just wanted to check on the current entry status - Direct Connect -
    12340    12340    12340    my529 - UESP    http://www.my529.org    (800) 418-2551    https://login.my529.org/OfxTerms.aspx    ACTIVE    INVESTMENT,ACCOUNTINFO&DIRECT                

I think it must have something to do w/ their 2 factor authentication. Even though when signing in I have clicked to "remember" my device (running windows 10/microsoft edge) and the site is supposed to remember my computer for 6 months, if I close edge and go back it still wants to send me a code to sign in. I have cookies enabled and checked settings (and complied with the troubleshooting advice above) and cannot see anything obvious that would make the site think it needs to reauthenticate every time. Any thoughts? For what it is worth even if I am signed in and have the site open on edge and try to update w/ Quicken, it still gives the same error message.
  • FrankxFrankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Paul093

Can you tell me which "error message" you are getting?

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
    The same one as Pam (1st post on this thread).
  • cllevingercllevinger Member
    I'm having the same problem. I tried to get help on the chat, but they told me to contact my529. I didn't call them today, but it sounds like if they did, they would tell me that there's nothing that they can do.
  • FrankxFrankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Paul093

That error code is usually completely unrelated to any potential 2FA issue and Quicken generally works with 2FA.  Given that you have been able to download for many years, it is more likely that the 529 plan changed something(s) that is/are preventing Quicken from connecting.  Your best bet is to contact the plan and complain.  The only potential other option would be to see if you can ownload a QFX file from the site and import that into Quicken.

Let us know how this works out.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
    edited January 14
    cllevinger said:
    I'm having the same problem.
    BTW - requested Moderator to modify your User ID - to just the ID -
    also - it appears you have not "confirmed" your email address with the forum
    Unconfirmed, Member ✭
    I sent an email to my529 this evening and linked this chat so they can see I am not alone w/ the issue. Their site does not use QFX downloads, you can only export a CSV file which cannot be imported into Quicken as far as I can tell. There is no option for a direct download like w/ some other financial institutions. I will certainly let everyone know if and how they respond.
  • RandyFRandyF Member ✭✭
    Here is another thread discussing the error. Apparently My529 is aware of the problem and waiting to hear back from Intuit/Quicken.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7885988/error-with-my529-org-invalid-certificate

(sorry don't know how to hyperlink)
    This is what the mod on the other thread posted:

Hello all,
    Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you are experiencing this trouble

At this time, there is no listed alert or known issue with My529, although I see that there are a handful of members here reporting issues with them.

As this Community is mainly user to user, we do not have the necessary tools to review log files and create escalations for online banking issues.

I would recommend contacting support directly for assistance. Support has the tools to generate help tickets, which the Community does not have. Tickets help gauge user impact which can then be used to open a ticket with our service providers if necessary.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Please be sure to communicate to support how long you have been experiencing this issue.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka
    I do not know if it was Quicken or my529 but it it working again for me. I did not change any settings. Hope it works for the rest of you as well.