R31.xx - scrolling issue with new update?

ReDave
ReDave Windows Beta, Canada Beta Beta
It appears that with the new update,  you can no longer use the arrow button to move up only one transaction at a time.    the button acts like clicking within the 'bar area'  and  you go up many transaction, tho not quite a page.   
thanks

Comments

• prine2020
    prine2020 Member ✭✭
    edited January 21
    I like(d) to be able to scroll up/down by one line at a time. Following the recent update I'm scrolling by a whole page (or more) - depending on where I click. :s
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    I use the scroll wheel, on my mouse, to make those smaller movements.  Did so even before this update.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • prine2020
    prine2020 Member ✭✭
    I can select a line in the register and use the up/down arrow to scroll one line at a time, but I don't know why this change was made. The account scroll bar to the left of the register still scrolls one line at a time when you click on the arrows.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    The scroll bars now agree with Windows normal action.  If you want to move up/down one line, use the arrow heads at the ends of the scroll bars.  Clicking in the bar will cause a move of up to one screen of data in the appropriate direction.
    My Account Bar scroll bar responds the same as the register scroll bar, the arrows move one account at a time, clicking on the bar shifts the whole available distance.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I like the change and think it is long overdue.

Scrollbars should look and act the same in every Windows application and certainly the same in the same application.  For years Quicken has had a mix of the old (as in back to Windows XP) and new scrollbars.  Now they are consistent.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Randy 415
    Randy 415 Windows Beta Beta
    Yes, major problem. It is now in production.
    Arrow click will move you more than a single page of transactions. (S/b One transaction).
    Click in the bar and you move multiple pages. (S/b One Page.)
    This is not how standard apps work at all.

• prine2020
    prine2020 Member ✭✭
    Not the case with my Surface laptop. Account scrollbar arrow moves one line at a time. Register scrollbar arrow jumps randomly back/forward in time.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have notice in the past that scrollbars are "interesting" in the sense that people report different behavior even just using different mice brands. I also remember posts about the the Surface laptops being "quite strange" in this regard.

I have no idea why that would be true, but that is what has been reported.
    Signature:
  • John Rocke
    John Rocke Member ✭✭
    I don't like the change. The arrows within an account register move a whole screen at a time which I can accomplish already by clicking within the scroll bar.

The arrows should move one line (or a few lines) at a time.
  • wegrantjr
    wegrantjr Member
    The arrows on the scroll bar do not work to scroll one line at a time. Currently the only way to move one line is using the key board arrow keys. Since I use a laptop, I do not use a mouse.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    edited January 22
    [Removed]
    ~~~***~~~
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    splasher said:
    Clicking in the bar will cause a move of up to one screen of data in the appropriate direction.
    I can't get this to work. I cannot click fast enough for the scroll bar to see a single click. It always scrolls way past one screenful of data.
    There is supposed to be a short delay after the first button-down event before the scroll bar goes into continuous scroll mode. Quicken's new scroll bars lack that delay, making it impossible to scroll one screen at a time. In R30.21, the scroll bars worked correctly.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • MHSwizzleStick
    MHSwizzleStick Member ✭✭✭✭
    splasher said:
    If you want to move up/down one line, use the arrow heads at the ends of the scroll bars.
    I do not find this to be true in R31.5. A single click of an arrow head causes it to move an inconsitent, random number of pages up or down. This happens on my laptop with both the built-in mouse pad and an external mouse.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    splasher said:
    Clicking in the bar will cause a move of up to one screen of data in the appropriate direction.
    I can't get this to work. I cannot click fast enough for the scroll bar to see a single click. It always scrolls way past one screenful of data.

I can see "single clicks", but maybe you are expecting something different than I am.

I'm looking at what Quicken is doing in comparison to what other applications on Windows 10 is doing, plus remembering "how it use to be".

In the past when clicking in the bar area, it has always been my understanding that it is "proportional".

As in say that I'm at the bottom of the register then clicking on these two spots will give me two different results (neither of which is a single line). And this exactly what I see in Quicken.

With the register at the bottom and clicking here (current date at top of register 12/28/2021):

It moves where 10/15/2020 is at the top of the register.
    If I click here:

It moves where 4/1/2020 is at the top of the register.

Which BTW in both cases way too much.  For the first one I would expect one or just a few lines movement.  And I would expect about a page for when I selected right under the top arrow.

And note that the arrow buttons seem to be moving at about one page.  Again that is way to fast for the arrow buttons.  One might argue if it should be a single line or "a few", but certainly it shouldn't be a whole page (this seems to be application dependent).

Now getting to what I see in other Windows applications.
    None of the applications I have found are using the "proportional" method any more.
    They all seem to be scrolling about the "scrollbar length" (no matter where you click in the scrollbar).
    Examples:
    Before:

After:

Before:

On the clicking of the arrow buttons.  In text editors seems to always be one line of text.  In MS Edge it seems to be about 5 lines.  In Excel it is one "cell".  So from what I can tell it should move by what the application considers "one unit".  In a Quicken register I think that should be one transaction line.

Note that the scroll wheel seems to "do the right thing".  I was able to change the amount of scrolling in the Windows settings and it scrolls exactly that amount of transaction lines in the register.
    Signature:
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    I think it is a bug that Quicken scrolls pages with a single click on the arrow button, it should be one transaction line.
    I agree.  As far as voting, I'm going to wait to see what the fix looks like.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    When I first tested this, clicking on the arrows at the ends of the scrollbar moved the register 1 line, today though, it is jumping a whole screen.  clicking in the scrollbar jumps a bunch.
    This is not what I originally experienced and is a problem.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • John Rocke
    John Rocke Member ✭✭
    I think the voting is so that Quicken will make a change if enough people ask/vote for it.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think the voting is so that Quicken will make a change if enough people ask/vote for it.
    There is a sort of gray area here.  If they intentionally changed this because some users requested it, then it is a feature request to allow for an option to allow for the old behavior.

But if it was unintentional then it is a bug and should be fixed no matter how many people vote on it.
    Signature:
  • John Rocke
    John Rocke Member ✭✭
    Good point Chris_QPW
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello all,

I have changed this from an Idea to a discussion. I apologize for the confusion.

This is currently being investigated further, I will be back with more information as soon as more details become available.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21
    Sitting here, with my FF browser - and if I click the scroll bar on the right side - the up/down arrows - the screen basically moves a couple of lines -
    Same for Excel pgm -
    Same for Thunderbird email pgm -
    Its standard Windows screen expectation.

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • prine2020
    prine2020 Member ✭✭
    Thanks splasher! I'm definitely reverting to R30.21.
  • prine2020
    prine2020 Member ✭✭
    Ahhhhhh. R30.21 is much better. Thanks again
  • I cannot get anything to work.  I use a laptop with no mouse.  I cannot see my data at all - using scroll bar or arrow keys moves my screen too far.  I am very frustrated with this change.

• CJM1
    CJM1 Member
    31.5 scroll changes are painful to use.   I cannot scroll up or down a single transaction, it only scrolls a full screen of transactions via using the arrows.  The old behavior was fine by just advancing the slider and some of my registers go back decades.  It is far more common for me to desire to see the prior transaction vs transaction a week or more in age.   Change back!
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    My experience with R31.5 is the same as @CJM1's.

in Banking registers, clicking on the up or down arrow in the scroll bar causes the screen to scroll very rapidly. This is what the "click and hold" action is supposed to do. A single click on an arrow should scroll the register by one transaction. A single click in the open area (if there is one) above or below the arrows should scroll one screen at a time.

I would call this a bug.

Investing Transaction lists work correctly.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • prine2020
    prine2020 Member ✭✭
    Has anyone tried R31.6 to see if this issue is really fixed?
  • John Rocke
    John Rocke Member ✭✭
    I just installed it and was going to compliment that a fix was provided so quickly but the issue is NOT RESOLVED for me.
This discussion has been closed.