R31.xx - scrolling issue with new update?

13»

Comments

• Todd Hecht
    Todd Hecht Member
    After numerous attempts, the patch to revert to R30.21 worked and my scrolling problems have resolved - thanks, splasher! Quicken still needs to fix the scrolling for the next update...I know I will be hesitant to install any more updates...
  • RonPitts57
    RonPitts57 Member
    Can you revert to R30.21 if you're on R31.6?
  • SmokeyT
    SmokeyT Member
    This is crazy! Not sure how a scrolling mechanics failure made it out QA. R31.5 scrolling needs to be fixed ASAP. I'm using the 2-line display for transactions. One click on the up or down arrow in the registry scroll bar results in moving several pages (~ 22 transactions at 5 transaction per page) on the register. Clicking the scroll bar itself results in moving even more pages (~ 36 transactions at 5 pages per page).
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello All,

We have begun a staged release of R31.8 HF2 which is targeted at resolving the scrolling issues reported in this thread.

If you do not receive a prompt to install this update in Quicken, it is also available by downloading and installing the Mondo Patch available here.

Once installed, please reply here and let us know if you are continuing to experience issues when scrolling in the account registers.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • lymanepp
    lymanepp Member
    The latest patch to revert the scrollbar changes fixed the problem for me.
  • It appears to have fixed the problem for me also. Thank you.
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    There is a new 31.8 coming out soon addressing the scroll bar
  • RonPitts57
    RonPitts57 Member
    Patch fixed the problem for me, thank you.
  • prine2020
    prine2020 Member ✭✭
    Scrolling is back to normal. Thank you for addressing this problem.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I guess I will just have to live with Windows XP scrollbars.   ;)
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BarryGraham
    BarryGraham Member, Windows Beta Beta
    If your mouse has a wheel, that still scrolls one line at a time.
    Barry Graham
    Quicken H&B Subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    There is so much wrong with the QWin GUI that the cosmetics of scroll bars is the least of our problems.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Winter001
    Winter001 Member ✭✭
    The Mondo fixed mine too!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    There is so much wrong with the QWin GUI that the cosmetics of scroll bars is the least of our problems.
    Well that is why I winked.   :smile:

I'm certainly not pushing for them to change it back.  They tried, and I appreciate that (even if others don't), but at the end of the day, functionality is way more important than the cosmetics.
    Signature:
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This issue appears to be resolved in R31.8

Thanks, Quicken!
    QWin Premier subscription
  • MarkSNadel
    MarkSNadel Member ✭✭
    The patch did not work for me either. Please fix this soon.
  • LISA KLUKA
    LISA KLUKA Member ✭✭
    edited January 28
    Sarah I found this (your) patch for the scrolling problem I was having..... and amazing it WORKED! I am glad I found and read this thread. It was very easy downloading and installing.

I actually thought all this weird scrolling happened because recently I had a ton of banking entries I needed to Categorize. I thought updating all the categorizing caused the problem. Apparently it wasn't after all.

THANK YOU THANK YOU! Lisa

> @Quicken Sarah said:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > We have begun a staged release of R31.8 HF2 which is targeted at resolving the scrolling issues reported in this thread.
    >
    > If you do not receive a prompt to install this update in Quicken, it is also available by downloading and installing the Mondo Patch available here.
    >
    > Once installed, please reply here and let us know if you are continuing to experience issues when scrolling in the account registers.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Sarah
  • PRD
    PRD Member ✭✭
    I just installed R31.12 and tried the new/old scroll bar behaviors. I did restart Quicken after each change. The scrolling is working as I expected. But I thought it worked like Windows before the first set of changes. The initial change really did mess up scrolling.

Would someone please tell we what is different between the 2 ways scroll bars behave. I didn't see any changes.

Thanks
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    PRD said:
    Would someone please tell we what is different between the 2 ways scroll bars behave. I didn't see any changes.

Thanks
    It isn't how they behave.  The fact that they behaved differently on the first try was a mistake.  It is how they look.

Old (Windows XP style):

New (Windows 10 style, and I might add the way all the rest of the scrollbars in Quicken look this way):

Signature:
  • PRD
    PRD Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > It isn't how they behave.  The fact that they behaved differently on the first try was a mistake.  It is how they look.

Thanks. Now I am really baffled. Was anyone complaining about the switch to the current Windows style? I cannot figure out why they went to the effort to make the scroll bar style a setup option. Or why they made the old style the default.

Oh well, thanks again for your response.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    PRD said:

Thanks. Now I am really baffled. Was anyone complaining about the switch to the current Windows style? 
    Actually I did.  Of course I didn't think it would cause all those problems when I suggested (which BTW it was many years ago).

The scrollbar wasn't the only "beautification" efforts they made in that release or in several releases for that matter. It is an ironic fact that people complain about Quicken not keeping up with the times, but either pretty much ignore or even complain when the Quicken developers try to make such changes.
    Signature:
  • PRD
    PRD Member ✭✭
    Chris, you misinterpreted my comment. I agree it made sense to move to the current windows style. What I don't understand is why the developers thought they needed to add a setup option in the new update to allow the old or new style. No one (or very few) were complaining about the style change; the complaint was that the scrolling amount was messed up.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @PRD Oh.  I think that was "just in case".  In other words they got burnt on the first change over, when they thought it was "simple change".

To make this change they had to yank out the all code for the scrollbar, they couldn't just change the "style".  They are two different "controls".  When they did that the first time, they didn't get all the code for how to scroll in correctly.

So you really have two sets of code.  And so until it proves it is working correctly they left their options open.

If something doesn't work right, the user can quickly revert to the old code and they won't be slammed for the change.

I expect that in time they will remove the option and just go to the new style.
    Signature:
  • I'm sure it's in here but I didn't see it. What is this new "enhancement" in bank scroll bars that was added, removed, and then made optional? I turned it on but I can't tell what it is.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure it's in here but I didn't see it. What is this new "enhancement" in bank scroll bars that was added, removed, and then made optional? I turned it on but I can't tell what it is.
    Read this thread from the beginning and it will make sense.  Note this thread started with R31.5.
    Signature:
  • Dave335
    Dave335 Member ✭✭
    I just read through the thread and now see the difference, at least for me. The only change I notice is that the scrollbar used to be 3D looking and now is 2D without shadows. Someone had an image that showed that earlier in the thread. I am not having any of the scrolling issues some had so those must have been fixed.

I do have one question. Update 31.6 was mentioned in this thread. I am running 31.20 and when I click on to "Check for Updates" it says I am on the most current release. Can someone please advise as to why 31.6 is less current than the lower numbered 31.20?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Dave335 said:

I do have one question. Update 31.6 was mentioned in this thread. I am running 31.20 and when I click on to "Check for Updates" it says I am on the most current release. Can someone please advise as to why 31.6 is less current than the lower numbered 31.20?
    xx.6 is less than xx.20, think of it as a number, not alphabetical.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1
    @Dave335

While it looks like it is, the numbering system is not decimal based. So, 31.6 is not 31.60, which would be a higher number than 31.20. In reality, its 6 vs 20, in which case 20 is the higher number. Look at it as 31-6 vs 31-20.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1
    The periods are separators not decimal numbers.

Note the general convention of version numbers in the software world goes something like this:  MajorNumber.MiniorNumger.PatchNumber.BuildNumber

What each of these "terms" mean (in what each number represents) varies pretty widely, but each number is independent of the next with the that a higher number is newer. 

Note the "full version number"/Build number is: 27.1.31.20.
    Quicken Inc uses the last two as the "version number" only because it is easier for people to remember report.    As in "Quicken Subscription" (that gets you the 27.1) R31.20, instead of just saying 27.1.31.20.

[edit] fixed typo in last set of numbers (3->31).
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW up until "Quicken Subscription" the "year version" would been incrementing the first number.  And the second/Minor number was basically almost never used and sits at 1.  Here is where you can see that "Subscription" really is different in the sense that the connection to a "year" is completely gone.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.