Home Alerts & Known Product Issues
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

The "Year-To-Date Return" function for "Investing" is not working properly for individual stocks

pgavonpgavon Member
The "Year-To-Date" return function / calculation for use in measuring year to date investment returns is not working properly for individual stocks. For example, the stock MET closed 2020 at $46.95 and closed yesterday at $50.33. The year-to-date return using the actual data should be 7.199%. The year-to-date return shown in the quicken "year-to-date" function is (22.3857%) for that same stock. I have another individual stock which is showing a similar problem. The year-to-date quicken calculation for mutual funds appears to be working properly, so the issue seems specific to individual common stocks. Please investigate. Thanks.

Best Answer

• Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer
    Hello All,

We've received confirmation from our service partners that a fix has been deployed and this behavior should no longer occur.

If, however, you continue to experience an issue, please create a new post to let us know.

Thank you again,

Sarah

Answers

• DericRockDericRock Member ✭✭
    edited January 14
    I believe you are seeing an annualized year-to-date AAR or ROI. The 7.199% is the gain. On the Investing > Portfolio tab, you can display Gain / Loss % which I think is what you are expecting. But you are instead showing the Avg. Annual Return % YTD, which is showing an annualized amount. The annualized amount gives you an indication what your return will be if you hold the investment for the entire year and enjoy the same gain you had for the (in your specific case) first 13 days of the year.
    Quicken user since 1995, now using Premier Subscription on Win10 Home.
  • pgavonpgavon Member
    That is not what I am looking at. In the Investing tab under "portfolio performance" view, I have included the "Return % YTD" calculation as a customization to that view. The definition of the "Return % YTD" in the software is "Change in value, plus dividends, capital gains, and return of capital (year to date)". To check the calculation, I used the current market value of the stock as of January 13, 2021 holding less the "amount invested" (which is the total stock value at 12/31/2020) divided by the "amount invested" which would give you the return % YTD. If I was looking at annualized aar or roi, it would not make sense that the calculation works for my mutual funds (which are correct) but not my individual stocks. Go into your investments and try this on one of your individual stocks and a mutual fund and tell me what you get.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Return (%) YTD is based on downloaded data.  

I agree.  The Return (%) YTD and other performance data presently being provided by the third-party provider for securities other than mutual funds appears to be incorrect.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • pgavonpgavon Member
    How do we get Quicken to acknowledge the problem, and assign resources to fix it? It scares the crap out of me when I realize its up to me (and other quicken users) to point these issues out to Quicken and they would be oblivious if users did not bring up such obvious items.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    pgavon said:
    How do we get Quicken to acknowledge the problem, and assign resources to fix it? It scares the crap out of me when I realize its up to me (and other quicken users) to point these issues out to Quicken and they would be oblivious if users did not bring up such obvious items.
    I raised the issue to the attention of the moderators 3 hours ago.  The flag has been viewed three times but there hasn't been an acknowledgement yet.  You could try contacting Quicken Support directly to determine if they're aware of the issue: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options

It shouldn't be a surprise that Quicken relies on users to report these kinds of data issues.  How could Quicken reliably know when the data provided by a third-party is not correct?   
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • pgavonpgavon Member
    This is such a basic issue that any Quicken employee who monitors the "Investing" functions should have caught this. The erroneous data is showing huge negative returns across the stocks I own. In any event, I've let Mr. Dunn know of the issue and hopefully he will get some resources to address this issue ASAP.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    pgavon said:
    This is such a basic issue that any Quicken employee who monitors the "Investing" functions should have caught this. 
    Why would any employee be assign such a duty?

Do you have any idea of how many features there are in Quicken and at any given time something might go wrong.  There is no way possible that there can be a Quicken employee monitoring everything.  That's why there is this forum and Quicken support and Help -> Report a problem.

And frankly you talk about this as if you are reporting your house burning down, this problem isn't that important.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • pgavonpgavon Member
    I expect Quicken to validate investment related data imported from Vendors. Some of us actually use Quicken to consolidate all investment data (from multiple accounts) to allow for trading decision making. If you have target % gains on stocks, you use those gains to execute trades. You may not use it, but I do. If members can't rely on the accuracy of the investment data, the program becomes useless. Once I know about an investment function "issue", I can obviously work around it. When I report an issue that is an "error" in the system, I expect to have that error confirmed within 1 day. That is not unrealistic given that I am pointing out the issue.. I know that issues related to vendors can't be fixed in one day, but the problem can be acknowledged. I've been a quicken user since 1995, so I've earned then right to comment on the system and the level of service I expect.
    Hello All

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue.

Our teams have been investigating this behavior and have identified a fix that is in progress.

In the meantime, this thread is being moved to our Alert & Known Product Issues category.

To automatically receive notification once an update and/or resolution is available please be sure to 'bookmark' this post by clicking the yellow star icon in the upper right.

Thank you,

Sarah
    Accepted Answer
    Hello All,

We've received confirmation from our service partners that a fix has been deployed and this behavior should no longer occur.

If, however, you continue to experience an issue, please create a new post to let us know.

Thank you again,

Sarah