How do I get files from a Hard Drive from an old computer that crashed?

The video on my old computer died, but I still have the HD with (I think) my many years' worth of data on it. I've set it up as a slave drive on the new machine, but I can't find the quicken location, or open any of the files that appear on my desktop. How do I retrieve the files? I tried the FAQ suggestion, but can''t find quicken to open the file link.

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    If the old computer was a desktop - with "slots"
    you could try getting a cheap video card.
    So... if you have the old HD, and either added it to your desktop, or added it as an external USB drive - you should be able to use Windows File Explorer and click open that "drive letter" and roam around looking for your files.

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • keygroupgj
    keygroupgj Member
    I found manifold files searching for Quicken, found the most recent date. I tried copying the last QDR file listed, but it turns out to be an ancient file, so now I have six months of current data, and a year's worth of 2016 data. And quicken is autosaving all the files I don't want. Where do I go from here?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    "the last QDR file listed"  Did you mean the last QDF file listed?  QDR  has no meaning in Quicken
    Do you not have any backup  files?  They'd have a suffix of QDF-backup.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So - just walking the steps....
    1 - You have installed Quicken on whatever you are now using for a computer ?
    2 - You can click on the Q icon and start Quicken....  what version ?
        .... Help --> About Quicken
    3 - You should be able to have Quicken "search" for any QDF files on the drive.
    ... File --> Find Quicken Files ---> change the "Look in" to your extra drive

• keygroupgj
    keygroupgj Member
    So I found the newest date for a backup, and opened it. While dated 5/14/2020, it stops at 2/20/2020, So now I have a file with two months at the beginning of the year, and three months at the end, and a notice that there was a backup made - do I want to change to this file (which I don't want to do). If there's a more recent file, and quicken knows about it, why can't I access it? And if I can't access it, does quicken offer a method to re-download files from my banks for the missing periods?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @keygroupgj

Thank you for the response and the additional details, although I apologize that you are missing transactions.

If you have not done so already, I would take a moment to review the information available here.

The ability to download transactions past transactions depends on the financial institution and if they provide a QFX file to import into Quicken. This will need to be located on their website.

This will not contain past years of data and typically ranges anywhere from 90 days to 18 months.

If you provide the name of the financial institutions we can help verify if they support this download method. Please let us know!

-Quicken Tyka  
    ~~~***~~~
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found manifold files searching for Quicken, found the most recent date. I tried copying the last QDR file listed,
    just guessing .... manifold --> many old ... and the typo of QDR vs QDF

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I found the newest date for a backup, and opened it. While dated 5/14/2020, it stops at 2/20/2020,
    I'm confused as to how you were using Quicken on the old computer.
    If you stopped using it around 5/2020 - then there should be several Quicken files from around that time period - both from Auto Backups and also Manual Backups.
    You should be able to find ALL of these files using the FIND as mentioned above.
    However - IF you were NOT making Auto Backups and NOT making Manual Backups, that kinda limits the options.
    Lastly - again IF - you did anything "funny" with your Quicken data - like "end of year" copies or deletes - then that might explain any missing data.
    For me, I NEVER delete ANY data.... why... it's all my financial history.