Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken crashed. Reinstall does not work. New install works with new user - QClean issues.

mferring
mferring Member
Been using Quicken over 40 years. Never had it crash on me. I have a high powered W10 computer and quicken crashed while using. Could not get it to run after restart (Clicked and hung up during start. Had to use task manager to close). Called Quicken support twice. Uninstalled, used Qclean, Mondo patch, etc. Rebooted. Reinstalled fresh copy. Same thing.

Then they had me create a new windows user and install there. I was amazed to see that quicken runs there, but not in my original and only user I had on the computer previously. I guess it creates a separate instance of the program?

Any thoughts on what I can do to get Quicken to run on the original user again without having to reinstall windows with that massive headache?

For example, are there any rogue temp files or strange other supporting files in my original user area that might be causing the problem?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Mark

Comments

• mferring
    mferring Member
    Well, amazingly enough, soon after posting this I had an idea........that for this old guy actually worked! So I will post it here so that other may possibly benefit. Seems like the Quicken Support people ought to be aware of something like this, but oh well.

Since I knew that Quicken ran for a single user, but not the other, I was wondering whether there were any rogue files still hiding out in the system area of windows for the specific user that would not run the program. I would hope that the Quicken Clean program would delete those, but it apparently did not.

I searched for any and all Quicken files on my hard drives. I found a few areas in the hidden App Data area of the User folder. You have to go into File Explorer and show hidden files to see the App Data Folder. Within the App Data folder there is a "Roaming" folder, Under Roaming there is indeed a Quicken folder with a number of files. I deleted this.

I also found some files that I don't think were the key ones in the App Data/Local/IsolatedStorage folder. I doubt if this was the problem, but I noted it here for completeness.

Then I restarted my computer and installed the latest Windows version of the software from my account. And lo and behold, the Program loaded and now works fine. Whew. I was not interested in reloading windows and having to completely rebuild my software set!

So hopefully this might help someone. I am going to send my feedback to the support email to me giving this piece of information. I believe they should modify their QClean software to ensure it deletes and applicable AppData folder content.

Cheers,

Mark
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    There is only one "instance" of Quicken, so that isn't it.
    There are machine level config files at:
    C:\ProgramData\Quicken (which would be shared between the two user accounts)
    There are user level config files at:
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Quicken (these along with the above should have been remove if you followed the QClean procedure)

I don't know if Quicken is using any of the Windows temp directory, but you can find that and clean it out here:
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp  (note you might not be able to remove all the files and you should reboot after this)

Also Quicken doesn't heavily use the Windows registry, but it does have some entries there, and the procedures for QClean are incorrect.  QCleanUI is suppose to remove old registry settings, but the procedures tell you to first uninstall and then run it.  Well if you do it QCleanUI won't find any version of Quicken installed and will not do anything.  On the other hand recent versions of Quicken uninstall has QCleanUI built into it and as such shouldn't be needed (but the removal of config files isn't doesn't and is what is important to do).

A better registry cleaner might get more @thecreator has a procedure that he posts that include such.

Past that it is possible that there is something corrupted in your Windows user account profile, and as such none of this will fix that.  A good support website for Windows might have a better idea to fix that kind of problem.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mferring
    mferring Member
    Well, the Qclean procedure did not remove the Users level AppData quicken folder. I had to remove it manually. Then I could reload the software. I ran Qclean several times and it said it ran and finished every time. So perhaps QClean is not actually removing this user specific folder?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

Note: Where the documentation refers to an Intuit folder containing the Quicken folder, the Intuit folder may not exist and the Quicken folder may be at the same folder level.
  • mferring
    mferring Member
    Ahh, thanks Sherlock. I had not reviewed that. Looks like it would have helped. In any case, I am now good to go! Really great to know that knowledgeable folks like you are here to help! Much appreciated.
  • mferring
    mferring Member
    Oh, and thanks Chris for your very detailed response. Very useful technical information there. You obviously have a great deal of knowledge. Again, much appreciated.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just to be clear.  There isn't any "automatic" cleaning up of the configuration folders.  I was referring to the fact that the procedure tells you to do it.  In fact it tells you to rename them, but I would just delete them.

QCleanUI calls MSIClean with various registry paths that it should delete.  This is a Windows registry cleaning only.

And BTW my experience has been that by far it is the configuration folders that contain the problems not the Windows registry.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/