After R30.21Update, Quicken Crashes Windows 10 if left open too long

pdallen1970
pdallen1970 Member ✭✭✭
I was force updated to R30.21 a couple of days ago. Since then, whenever I leave Quicken open for an extended period, I come back to find that my PC has rebooted. I have validated the file to no avail.

I remember there was an issue with a Quicken Memory Leak at one point, and this seems to be similar. Any suggestions?

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version and build of Windows ?

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • pdallen1970
    pdallen1970 Member ✭✭✭
    Windows 10, Version 2004, Build 19041.746
  • Hello @pdallen1970

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. That is quite odd overall. Has this only happened on the most recent patch only? How long does the program have to be open for it to restart your computer? When it restarts are you getting a blue screen or is the computer just turning off? I would recommend trying a mondo patch to see if they might help but I'm not sure if that'll do much but it's worth an attempt. I'll leave the article down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

Once you get a chance let us know some more details and we'll see what we can find. 

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    pdallen1970 said:  whenever I leave Quicken open for an extended period, I come back to find that my PC has rebooted. 
    Wonder how long it is left idle...
    There are several Windows user settings that can be set to reflect what happens when your compter is left idle... and for how long. -
    Some of them include -
    how long, screen dim, disk off, PC goes into Sleep / Hibernation, etc
    Also - settings can require a re-login after the sleep.... which might appear as a reboot.
    When you come back to the computer - guessing you have to re-logon to get to the desktop screen - are any programs still running  - implying Sleep -

• pdallen1970
    pdallen1970 Member ✭✭✭
    No - when I come back, I enter my pin and everything is closed. Upon reopening Chrome I get a message that it was unexpectedly shut down. This is exactly what I went through before. I closed everything BUT Quicken the other day and it restarted the PC. That has happened a couple of times. Conversely, I can leave Chrome, Outlook, and many other programs open (with Quicken closed) all day long and have no issue.

The last time, I spent hours (days) chasing this problem that suddenly went away when a new Quicken update came along. I guess I just don't open Quicken unless I need it - though that's not ideal when running a business.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I was force updated to R30.21 a couple of days ago. Since then, whenever I leave Quicken open for an extended period, I come back to find that my PC has rebooted. I have validated the file to no avail.

I remember there was an issue with a Quicken Memory Leak at one point, and this seems to be similar. Any suggestions?
    Memory leaks don't crash Windows, the program crashes when it runs out of memory.

In general it should be impossible for a program to crash Windows.  With maybe the exception of it causing finding an "unstable" part of the system.  For instance some of the programs to test machines will work the machine as hard as possible, which might in turn cause it to overheat and shutdown.  Or access some faulty memory address, and shutdown.  Another possibility is accessing something like a printer and the printer driver has problems.  Since drivers are part of the operating system kernel problems with them can crash the operating system.

But in general Quicken is pretty much idle if you are there doing something with it.  It might process some messages that the operating system sends out or if you might have it download quotes every 15 minutes.  But if anything it is doing far less than while you are using it.

You might need to find a good Windows forum and ask how you can discover the reason your machine is rebooting.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • pdallen1970
    pdallen1970 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes - the last time, Quicken said it was a Windows problem and Microsoft said it was a Quicken problem.. I expected the same thing this time. I was just hoping someone else was having the same problem and had a quick fix. I purposely hold off on Quicken updates because it seems like there's a new issue with each "fix" - this time, it was forced on me.
  • pdallen1970
    pdallen1970 Member ✭✭✭
    And maybe "memory leak" is the wrong term but all I can tell you for sure is that Quicken Closed = No Crash, Quicken Open = Crash.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
     pdallen1970 said:
    Yes - the last time, Quicken said it was a Windows problem and Microsoft said it was a Quicken problem.. I expected the same thing this time. I was just hoping someone else was having the same problem and had a quick fix. I purposely hold off on Quicken updates because it seems like there's a new issue with each "fix" - this time, it was forced on me.
    I vaguely remember some posts on that, and yes that is different than the Quicken memory leak.

Do you remember what was the fix last time?
    My bet would be on a Windows update.
    And I would note that the current released version of Windows is:
    20H2 19042.746
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    And you didn't answer @ps56k's question, how long does one have to wait to test this?
    Signature:
  • pdallen1970
    pdallen1970 Member ✭✭✭
    That's the unknown. I have walked away, leaving only Quicken open, and come back 20 minutes later to a rebooted machine. Other times, I come back an hour later (but I have no way of knowing if it crashed at 10 minutes or an hour).

The last time, I noticed my laptop was getting super hot and downloaded a utility called Core Temp and I did notice temperature spikes when Quicken was open/running. I haven't tested that this time.

The fix the last time was that there was a mondo patch that had a newer version of Quicken than I had and I installed that - the crashes/reboots stopped after that.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to track this down, you'll need to look at Windows event logs. This ain't easy when you don't know what you're looking for. 
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16
    You might also download and run the Microsoft Process Explorer -
    It lets you see what is running on the computer....
    and if your laptop is getting hot, then what is using most of the CPU -
    Lastly - do you have anything special with the laptop....
    2nd monitor, external USB devices, external drives, etc
    BTW - here is Quicken (QW.EXE) sitting idle... at 0.30 % CPU usage

• pdallen1970
    pdallen1970 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for reminding me of that - this is what I had used before to determine it was Quicken hogging the memory. At this point, as the saying goes "it is what it is". I'm not an IT professional and shouldn't have to play one. I'll just wait until the next Quicken update and it will likely disappear as quickly as it appeared. That's my usual MO whenever I have an issue with Quicken - avoid using it until the next update
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17
    I will offer another possible culprit. I see by the date of your post, about the same time Windows KB4598242 may have been installed. I have been fighting this update ever since it installed, first time on 1/13/2021. My PC shuts down every night since this update and refuses to sleep (which is my setting). This has been so bad, I performed a recovery back to 1/10/2021 and delayed any updates for a month. All has been stable since.

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not an IT professional and shouldn't have to play one.
    The unfortunate fact is that there are so many different things that can go wrong on your computer or in a program like Quicken, sooner or later we all have to "play one" or pay for one.

So far you are the only one reporting this problem, so it doesn't sound like a problem with this last patch install to me.  What's more I'm not even convinced that the last problem you described was actually Quicken's fault.

Quicken shouldn't be able to crash Windows.  The fact that anything it did, did crash Windows is a failure on the Windows side.  But when it comes down to an investigation where Quicken calls XXX function, and Windows crashes, and Microsoft refuses to fix it (or can't) then the Quicken developers could have certainly put out a change that did whatever XXX function was suppose to do, by doing it some other way.  That is the way the real world works.

For the record I left Quicken running for a long time, and my machine didn't shutdown.
    But that might just be how I use my machine, as in I never let it go to sleep. And I shut it down when I'm not using it.

I remember a long time ago Quicken would prevent Windows from going to sleep, I'm guessing because they felt that might corrupt the data file.  But I don't think that is true today.  Then again I would feel real uncomfortable about letting my machine go to sleep with Quicken running.
    Signature:
  • pdallen1970
    pdallen1970 Member ✭✭✭
    I get it.  It's hard to get Microsoft to say it's "their" problem when it only occurs with Quicken running. Of course, it could be some other background process conflicting with Quicken and BAM.  I know how it goes. As I said, I was only asking to see if anyone else was having a similar issue.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just did a couple quick tests....with our laptop - R30.21 - Win10 latest 2004 upd
    with Quicken open - browser open to forum, and email pgm open to email
    1 - runs fine... left it running idle 6 hours
    2 - put into "sleep" - then wake up - all still running & good
    3 - put into "hibernation" - then reboot - all still running & good