Bank reconciliation open balances frequently off

Michael Rosen
Michael Rosen Member ✭✭✭
Frequently, when reconciling my checking account, the opening account balance won't match the bank statement.  I'll override the amount in the reconciliation and in the end, once I've finished reconciling, my beginning and ending differences are the same amount, positive and negative.

For instance, I'm seeing an opening balance difference of 185.19 and an ending difference of -185.19.

So, obviously they net to zero but I don't know why the opening balance is not matching but in the end everything apparently reconciles.

Edit:  Actually, when I finished the reconciliation it posted an opening balance adjustment of just a deposit of $185.19.  I misunderstood the reconciliation screen.

Quicken Premier 2020 R30.21 Build 27.1.30.21
Windows 10 Home V20H2 Build 19042.746

Thanks.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the reconciled opening balance has changed, a reconciled transaction has been added, modified, or deleted.  To determine the source of the change, I suggest you compare the running balance of the account register in the current Quicken file with the running balance of the account register from a Quicken file backup saved when the account was last reconciled.  One way to accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.